Jan 11, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
The past summer was a dark one for NHL enforcers, but the fact remains that they’re often among the most interesting men in the game. If you want a snapshot of that phenomenon, check out some of this brilliant work by Boston Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton.
(Personal note: I’m not sure I buy the “Vancouver Canucks totally lack toughness” argument, but perhaps it’s a matter of relativity/semantics. Moving on …)
If that wasn’t impressive enough, Thornton shows that he’s more than just a tough guy by scoring a caveat-free beauty as part of tonight’s 5-3 win against the Winnipeg Jets. You can see some of his great work as part of this highlight package:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Hockey fans likely have varying opinions about the Bruins as a whole depending upon which team(s) they’re pulling for, but let’s face it. Thornton is pretty awesome.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)