Jan 11, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
The past summer was a dark one for NHL enforcers, but the fact remains that they’re often among the most interesting men in the game. If you want a snapshot of that phenomenon, check out some of this brilliant work by Boston Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton.
(Personal note: I’m not sure I buy the “Vancouver Canucks totally lack toughness” argument, but perhaps it’s a matter of relativity/semantics. Moving on …)
If that wasn’t impressive enough, Thornton shows that he’s more than just a tough guy by scoring a caveat-free beauty as part of tonight’s 5-3 win against the Winnipeg Jets. You can see some of his great work as part of this highlight package:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Hockey fans likely have varying opinions about the Bruins as a whole depending upon which team(s) they’re pulling for, but let’s face it. Thornton is pretty awesome.
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)