Jan 11, 2012, 12:35 AM EDT
The past summer was a dark one for NHL enforcers, but the fact remains that they’re often among the most interesting men in the game. If you want a snapshot of that phenomenon, check out some of this brilliant work by Boston Bruins tough guy Shawn Thornton.
(Personal note: I’m not sure I buy the “Vancouver Canucks totally lack toughness” argument, but perhaps it’s a matter of relativity/semantics. Moving on …)
If that wasn’t impressive enough, Thornton shows that he’s more than just a tough guy by scoring a caveat-free beauty as part of tonight’s 5-3 win against the Winnipeg Jets. You can see some of his great work as part of this highlight package:This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Hockey fans likely have varying opinions about the Bruins as a whole depending upon which team(s) they’re pulling for, but let’s face it. Thornton is pretty awesome.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)