Jan 11, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
Early this season, Jonas Gustavsson was looking like the guy that wasn’t going to provide any kind of relief in goal for the Maple Leafs. Now? He’s looking more like his nickname in goal playing like a “monster” in winning four in a row for Toronto.
Leafs coach Ron Wilson tells Jonas Siegel of TSN that what “The Monster” is doing in goal is helping make life easier on everyone on the ice except for their opponents.
“It’s huge,” Ron Wilson concurred. “You saw what happened last year when James [Reimer] came in and started to play really well, all of a sudden we were scoring more goals and everything seemed to get fixed in a hurry.”
Playing mediocre is just what Gustavsson was doing while James Reimer was out with an injury earlier this season forcing Toronto to use Ben Scrivens more often than not.
Now, Gustavsson has shut things down hard in goal with two shutouts in his last four games and getting the Leafs back on track for a possible spot in the playoffs. If Gustavsson can live up to the hype he had following him upon his arrival with the Leafs, Toronto’s goalie tandem is poised to be solid the rest of the way.
Now if they can just get their penalty kill figured out, they’ll be virtually all set.
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 0
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 18
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)