Jan 11, 2012, 9:11 AM EST
Early this season, Jonas Gustavsson was looking like the guy that wasn’t going to provide any kind of relief in goal for the Maple Leafs. Now? He’s looking more like his nickname in goal playing like a “monster” in winning four in a row for Toronto.
Leafs coach Ron Wilson tells Jonas Siegel of TSN that what “The Monster” is doing in goal is helping make life easier on everyone on the ice except for their opponents.
“It’s huge,” Ron Wilson concurred. “You saw what happened last year when James [Reimer] came in and started to play really well, all of a sudden we were scoring more goals and everything seemed to get fixed in a hurry.”
Playing mediocre is just what Gustavsson was doing while James Reimer was out with an injury earlier this season forcing Toronto to use Ben Scrivens more often than not.
Now, Gustavsson has shut things down hard in goal with two shutouts in his last four games and getting the Leafs back on track for a possible spot in the playoffs. If Gustavsson can live up to the hype he had following him upon his arrival with the Leafs, Toronto’s goalie tandem is poised to be solid the rest of the way.
Now if they can just get their penalty kill figured out, they’ll be virtually all set.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 6
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 75
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)