Jan 11, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
Early this season, Jonas Gustavsson was looking like the guy that wasn’t going to provide any kind of relief in goal for the Maple Leafs. Now? He’s looking more like his nickname in goal playing like a “monster” in winning four in a row for Toronto.
Leafs coach Ron Wilson tells Jonas Siegel of TSN that what “The Monster” is doing in goal is helping make life easier on everyone on the ice except for their opponents.
“It’s huge,” Ron Wilson concurred. “You saw what happened last year when James [Reimer] came in and started to play really well, all of a sudden we were scoring more goals and everything seemed to get fixed in a hurry.”
Playing mediocre is just what Gustavsson was doing while James Reimer was out with an injury earlier this season forcing Toronto to use Ben Scrivens more often than not.
Now, Gustavsson has shut things down hard in goal with two shutouts in his last four games and getting the Leafs back on track for a possible spot in the playoffs. If Gustavsson can live up to the hype he had following him upon his arrival with the Leafs, Toronto’s goalie tandem is poised to be solid the rest of the way.
Now if they can just get their penalty kill figured out, they’ll be virtually all set.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 13
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 60
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 84
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 7
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional