Jan 11, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
Early this season, Jonas Gustavsson was looking like the guy that wasn’t going to provide any kind of relief in goal for the Maple Leafs. Now? He’s looking more like his nickname in goal playing like a “monster” in winning four in a row for Toronto.
Leafs coach Ron Wilson tells Jonas Siegel of TSN that what “The Monster” is doing in goal is helping make life easier on everyone on the ice except for their opponents.
“It’s huge,” Ron Wilson concurred. “You saw what happened last year when James [Reimer] came in and started to play really well, all of a sudden we were scoring more goals and everything seemed to get fixed in a hurry.”
Playing mediocre is just what Gustavsson was doing while James Reimer was out with an injury earlier this season forcing Toronto to use Ben Scrivens more often than not.
Now, Gustavsson has shut things down hard in goal with two shutouts in his last four games and getting the Leafs back on track for a possible spot in the playoffs. If Gustavsson can live up to the hype he had following him upon his arrival with the Leafs, Toronto’s goalie tandem is poised to be solid the rest of the way.
Now if they can just get their penalty kill figured out, they’ll be virtually all set.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)