Jan 11, 2012, 12:12 PM EDT
Concussion recovery is a hard thing and Carolina’s Jeff Skinner is getting a lot better.
Skinner was cleared for contact today by the Hurricanes staff and was back on the ice this morning at practice. Skinner has missed 14 games since being put out of action thanks to a dirty hit from Edmonton’s Andy Sutton, a hit that earned Sutton an eight-game suspension.
When Skinner left the Canes’ lineup, he was the team’s leading point producer and now upon his return he’s second behind captain Eric Staal. Meanwhile, Carolina has fallen back hard in the East sitting dead last in the conference one point behind the Islanders. To say they could use a lift from Skinner would be an understatement as they’re 11 points behind Pittsburgh for eighth in the East.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)