Jan 11, 2012, 11:45 AM EST
On Saturday, Dallas Stars center Mike Ribeiro went knee-on-knee with Edmonton defenseman Theo Peckham. The collision stung a bit so Ribeiro left the game momentarily, threw on a knee brace, returned to the game and potted two goals in a 4-1 win.
It was a gutsy performance, made even more gutsy by the fact Ribeiro suffered an MCL tear on the play.
“We don’t know how he played the last game,” Stars head coach Glen Gulutzan told the Dallas Morning News. “He seems to do good when he gets injured and comes back.
“He has an MCL [tear] there, but there’s an old MCL [scar] there, so that pollutes the water of what’s actually there. He has it and he’s limping around, but Ribs thinks he can play.”
The Stars held Ribeiro out of Tuesday’s game against Anaheim — a 5-2 loss — after an MRI revealed the tear. Now Gulutzan faces the difficult decision of letting Ribeiro play through the injury, which is what the center would prefer, or keeping Ribeiro in Dallas for rehab while the Stars complete their mini two-game road trip (Dallas finishes in L.A. on Thursday.)
“He may fly in tomorrow,” Gulutzan said. “In Ribby’s case, we just don’t want Ribby to put that knee in a vulnerable situation, where guys can take a run at him and he can’t get out of the way. As far as blazing speed, that’s not part of Ribby’s repertoire…but we want him to have the ability to get away from guys.”
Even without blazing speed, Ribeiro’s been a key contributor for Dallas this season. He’s third on the team in scoring (31 points in 40 games) and second on the team in assists, with 21.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 17
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 28
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)