Jan 11, 2012, 6:48 PM EST
Chances are you aren’t that familiar with Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Jay Harrison, so allow us to bring you up to speed — he’s 29 years old, a former Maple Leafs draft pick, a one-time member of Swiss league team EV Zug, and a guy Carolina brought on board for next to nothing (he’s making $700k annually.)
This year he’s been a big contributor for the ‘Canes, recording 15 points through 34 games, while leading all defensemen in goals.
He also knows how to jam, man.
Recently, Fox Sports Carolina caught up with Harrison to discuss his off-ice passion — playing guitar.
– Harrison notes his love of 90s alternative music and Sirius/XM’s “Lithium” (aka “the flannel channel”). As a regular listener and fellow grunge aficionado, I can confirm that Lithium rules, though it tends to go a little heavy on the Smashing Pumpkins.
– At the 1:16 mark…does Harrison bust out a Radiohead/”Paranoid Android” riff? I believe he does. That’s pretty good.
– According to Harrison, San Jose’s Brad Winchester and Buffalo’s Drew Stafford are regarded as the NHL’s premier axe men. Intriguing. I knew about Stafford (he and Ryan Miller once played a charity concert with the Buffalo Philharmonic) but Winchester was a surprise. He’s from Wisconsin, I bet he’s really into the Violent Femmes (admittedly, that’s the only Wisconsin band I know.)
– Harrison’s really well-spoken. He made it through the entire interview without once saying “f—in rights!” which, based on everything I learned from HBO 24/7, is the most popular expression in the NHL.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)