Jan 11, 2012, 10:19 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke went on Fan 590 with Bob McCown and Damien Cox on Wednesday and – as usual – didn’t just trot out the same old cliches. Instead, he provided a very frank state of his team (as well as some hilarious critiques of Sports Illustrated), and the general takeaway is that he’s itching to make a trade.
When the radio hosts asked Burke if he’s done making deals, Burke said this:
“My answer is no. If I can improve this team tomorrow I’ll make a deal tomorrow that improves it.”
The January guy
Burke admitted that he’s a “January guy,” as he made many of his biggest moves – including acquiring Dion Phaneuf via a big trade – well before the trade deadline rolled around.
“(General managers) make more mistakes at the deadline and on July 1 then during the rest of the year. The math doesn’t work at the deadline … I’ve never been a big deadline guy.”
OK, so we’ve established that he wants to make a deal and would prefer to do so sooner rather than later. The biggest question is, what will Burke’s biggest focus be: the present or the future?
“It depends. If I could get a kid that I really believe was going to be special, I always do that unless I thought we thought we were going to have a parade … we’re looking to add and get better now.”
What Burke wants and doesn’t want
Burke admitted that “Age group asset trades” are a possibility, which means he’d be interested in trading a 22-year-old player with another 22-year-old with a different skill set. Perhaps most interestingly, Burke would also be willing than to move a first-round pick for a guy who can help him this season (and most importantly, the playoffs).
One thing Burke won’t be looking for is a veteran goalie, though, as he provided effusive praise of Jonas Gustavsson‘s surprising recent run of play.
So which trades could come true?
That doesn’t mean he’s moments away from pulling the trigger on that or any other deal, but Burkie’s latest interview is basically a colorful way of saying: “Go ahead and make up random trade ideas in the comments and on random message boards.”
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 2
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ 71
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 66
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 33
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)