Jan 10, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks
After scoring the winning goal and adding two assists in Saturday’s 5-2 victory over Washington, Marleau has at least a point in five straight games. In his last 11, he’s only been held off the scoresheet once.
By no small coincidence, San Jose is 8-1-1 in its last 10, the best 10-game stretch going in the Western Conference. Only the Rangers (9-1-0) have a better mark overall.
It’s been a distinct turnaround for Marleau, who in early December was dropped to San Jose’s third line in the midst of a seven-game pointless streak.
The 32-year-old with one of the NHL’s highest cap hits ($6.9 million) is no stranger to criticism in San Jose. His numbers (33 points in 38 games) remain below what they should be given the money he’s making – only 18 players in the entire league have a higher cap hit – which is why it’s important to pump his tires when the opportunity presents itself.
Patrick Marleau, everyone.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)