Jan 10, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks
After scoring the winning goal and adding two assists in Saturday’s 5-2 victory over Washington, Marleau has at least a point in five straight games. In his last 11, he’s only been held off the scoresheet once.
By no small coincidence, San Jose is 8-1-1 in its last 10, the best 10-game stretch going in the Western Conference. Only the Rangers (9-1-0) have a better mark overall.
It’s been a distinct turnaround for Marleau, who in early December was dropped to San Jose’s third line in the midst of a seven-game pointless streak.
The 32-year-old with one of the NHL’s highest cap hits ($6.9 million) is no stranger to criticism in San Jose. His numbers (33 points in 38 games) remain below what they should be given the money he’s making – only 18 players in the entire league have a higher cap hit – which is why it’s important to pump his tires when the opportunity presents itself.
Patrick Marleau, everyone.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 9
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 55
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (55)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)