Jan 10, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks
After scoring the winning goal and adding two assists in Saturday’s 5-2 victory over Washington, Marleau has at least a point in five straight games. In his last 11, he’s only been held off the scoresheet once.
By no small coincidence, San Jose is 8-1-1 in its last 10, the best 10-game stretch going in the Western Conference. Only the Rangers (9-1-0) have a better mark overall.
It’s been a distinct turnaround for Marleau, who in early December was dropped to San Jose’s third line in the midst of a seven-game pointless streak.
The 32-year-old with one of the NHL’s highest cap hits ($6.9 million) is no stranger to criticism in San Jose. His numbers (33 points in 38 games) remain below what they should be given the money he’s making – only 18 players in the entire league have a higher cap hit – which is why it’s important to pump his tires when the opportunity presents itself.
Patrick Marleau, everyone.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)