Jan 10, 2012, 3:26 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Patrick Marleau, San Jose Sharks
After scoring the winning goal and adding two assists in Saturday’s 5-2 victory over Washington, Marleau has at least a point in five straight games. In his last 11, he’s only been held off the scoresheet once.
By no small coincidence, San Jose is 8-1-1 in its last 10, the best 10-game stretch going in the Western Conference. Only the Rangers (9-1-0) have a better mark overall.
It’s been a distinct turnaround for Marleau, who in early December was dropped to San Jose’s third line in the midst of a seven-game pointless streak.
The 32-year-old with one of the NHL’s highest cap hits ($6.9 million) is no stranger to criticism in San Jose. His numbers (33 points in 38 games) remain below what they should be given the money he’s making – only 18 players in the entire league have a higher cap hit – which is why it’s important to pump his tires when the opportunity presents itself.
Patrick Marleau, everyone.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)