Jan 10, 2012, 7:02 PM EST
Dustin Penner’s pancake-related injury has inspired Sportsnet.ca to compile a top-10 list of the “craziest non-hockey NHL injuries.”
Our favorite? Former goalie Glenn Healy cutting his hand for 40 stitches while cleaning his bagpipes. In hindsight, his biggest mistake was buying bagpipes made of knives.
Honorary mention goes to then-Canucks defenseman Brent Sopel, who threw out his back picking up a cracker in 2007. Although in fairness, it was a Triscuit, and you could chuck one of those through a brick wall.
Notable omission from the list is another former Canuck, Michael Grabner, who in 2009 tore up his ankle playing soccer in the hallway before a game.
“I just jumped up and my heel got caught on the wall and I landed on my toes and rolled over,” explained Grabner.
/pictures it and tries not to laugh
//laughs, but doesn’t feel bad because he recovered, scored a bunch of goals and now he’s rich
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 16
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)