Jan 10, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Dustin Penner’s pancake-related injury has inspired Sportsnet.ca to compile a top-10 list of the “craziest non-hockey NHL injuries.”
Our favorite? Former goalie Glenn Healy cutting his hand for 40 stitches while cleaning his bagpipes. In hindsight, his biggest mistake was buying bagpipes made of knives.
Honorary mention goes to then-Canucks defenseman Brent Sopel, who threw out his back picking up a cracker in 2007. Although in fairness, it was a Triscuit, and you could chuck one of those through a brick wall.
Notable omission from the list is another former Canuck, Michael Grabner, who in 2009 tore up his ankle playing soccer in the hallway before a game.
“I just jumped up and my heel got caught on the wall and I landed on my toes and rolled over,” explained Grabner.
/pictures it and tries not to laugh
//laughs, but doesn’t feel bad because he recovered, scored a bunch of goals and now he’s rich
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5