Jan 10, 2012, 6:00 PM EST
“I want them to lose every game,” Burns said. “You think I want them to do well? I’ve been watching how they’ve been doing, hoping that they would lose every game. You have to be competitive to reach this level and I’m a pretty intense guy. And when a team doesn’t want you, you sure don’t want them to go 82-0.”
Tonight, Burns will once again face the Wild — but this time at the Xcel Energy Center, his first return to Minnesota since the trade. After practice today a reporter brought up Burns’ infamous comments, which added a little spice to the proceedings given Minnesota’s recent losing streak.
Burns faced the inevitable question on his statement before the first Sharks-Wild game, that he hoped Minnesota lost every game this season. But the question was well-couched.
“Looks like you’re getting your wish,” said the reporter, a reference to the fact Minnesota has lost 11 of its last 12 games.
Burns responded saying that earlier comment was a reflection of the competitiveness in every player, how no one would like to see their former team rise because then it looks as if they were the problem.
But he also noted that it was said “a little tongue in cheek,” before a gracious nod to his ex-teammates’ current plight.
“The league is so tight and every team goes through little swings,” Burns said. “We did at the start of the year, too.”
Just for the record, I’m not discounting the possibility that Burns cast a spell on the Wild. The man has a Harry Potter tattoo, for crying out loud.
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 4
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 4
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 7
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 9
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 10
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 21
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)