Jan 10, 2012, 6:00 PM EDT
“I want them to lose every game,” Burns said. “You think I want them to do well? I’ve been watching how they’ve been doing, hoping that they would lose every game. You have to be competitive to reach this level and I’m a pretty intense guy. And when a team doesn’t want you, you sure don’t want them to go 82-0.”
Tonight, Burns will once again face the Wild — but this time at the Xcel Energy Center, his first return to Minnesota since the trade. After practice today a reporter brought up Burns’ infamous comments, which added a little spice to the proceedings given Minnesota’s recent losing streak.
Burns faced the inevitable question on his statement before the first Sharks-Wild game, that he hoped Minnesota lost every game this season. But the question was well-couched.
“Looks like you’re getting your wish,” said the reporter, a reference to the fact Minnesota has lost 11 of its last 12 games.
Burns responded saying that earlier comment was a reflection of the competitiveness in every player, how no one would like to see their former team rise because then it looks as if they were the problem.
But he also noted that it was said “a little tongue in cheek,” before a gracious nod to his ex-teammates’ current plight.
“The league is so tight and every team goes through little swings,” Burns said. “We did at the start of the year, too.”
Just for the record, I’m not discounting the possibility that Burns cast a spell on the Wild. The man has a Harry Potter tattoo, for crying out loud.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 0
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 5
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 21
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 56
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control