Jan 10, 2012, 12:15 PM EST
Pavel Datsyuk is the kind of guy you think never gets hurt, but he is human after all.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that Datsyuk will miss tonight’s game with an injury. Red Wings GM Ken Holland tells Khan that the injury isn’t serious and that Datsyuk, like the rest of us, is day-to-day.
Missing out on tonight’s game against the Islanders means that Datsyuk won’t get a chance to face former Russian teammate and almost Red Wings goalie Evgeni Nabokov. Datsyuk is Detroit’s leading scorer with 43 points and the guy that makes their offense go. Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports that Detroit could go with seven defensemen tonight in lieu of Datsyuk’s absence.
If there’s an upside for Detroit it’s that Henrik Zetterberg has been playing stronger of late and has become an assist machine in his own right. No one is going to feel bad for Detroit for missing out on one of their many superstars, especially for a game, but going without Datsyuk means missing out on his slick moves and dangles and for that everyone should be sad.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (46)