Jan 10, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk is the kind of guy you think never gets hurt, but he is human after all.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that Datsyuk will miss tonight’s game with an injury. Red Wings GM Ken Holland tells Khan that the injury isn’t serious and that Datsyuk, like the rest of us, is day-to-day.
Missing out on tonight’s game against the Islanders means that Datsyuk won’t get a chance to face former Russian teammate and almost Red Wings goalie Evgeni Nabokov. Datsyuk is Detroit’s leading scorer with 43 points and the guy that makes their offense go. Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports that Detroit could go with seven defensemen tonight in lieu of Datsyuk’s absence.
If there’s an upside for Detroit it’s that Henrik Zetterberg has been playing stronger of late and has become an assist machine in his own right. No one is going to feel bad for Detroit for missing out on one of their many superstars, especially for a game, but going without Datsyuk means missing out on his slick moves and dangles and for that everyone should be sad.
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 0
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 2
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 26
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 12
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 68
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 6
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination