Jan 10, 2012, 12:15 PM EDT
Pavel Datsyuk is the kind of guy you think never gets hurt, but he is human after all.
Ansar Khan of MLive.com reports that Datsyuk will miss tonight’s game with an injury. Red Wings GM Ken Holland tells Khan that the injury isn’t serious and that Datsyuk, like the rest of us, is day-to-day.
Missing out on tonight’s game against the Islanders means that Datsyuk won’t get a chance to face former Russian teammate and almost Red Wings goalie Evgeni Nabokov. Datsyuk is Detroit’s leading scorer with 43 points and the guy that makes their offense go. Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press reports that Detroit could go with seven defensemen tonight in lieu of Datsyuk’s absence.
If there’s an upside for Detroit it’s that Henrik Zetterberg has been playing stronger of late and has become an assist machine in his own right. No one is going to feel bad for Detroit for missing out on one of their many superstars, especially for a game, but going without Datsyuk means missing out on his slick moves and dangles and for that everyone should be sad.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)