Jan 10, 2012, 9:36 PM EST
Buffalo, N.Y. ranks pretty high on my “sports pity” list. It seemed like the humble little ‘burgh had some good things going with Terry Pegula’s spending spree and a surprise start for the NFL’s Buffalo Bills, but as per typical, things fell apart with dizzying speed.
It certainly doesn’t seem like the Sabres are in a spot to buck that trend anytime soon, either.
If there was one Sabres forward who wasn’t letting everyone down, Thomas Vanek would probably be that guy. He’s been nearly a point-per-game player with 40 in 41, so naturally he left tonight’s game with an upper-body injury and did not return.
Barring a late comeback, it looks like the Toronto Maple Leafs will keep Buffalo firmly in 11th place in the East – at best. They managed to make a late surge from a similarly bleak situation last season, but if Vanek’s injury is serious, then the Sabres might need to acknowledge the jarring possibility of missing the postseason entirely.
It all seems shocking, but then again, maybe we should have seen this coming in luckless Buffalo.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 22
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 42
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 65
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 46
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)