Jan 10, 2012, 11:54 AM EDT
You’d think things would get easier in Columbus with Scott Arniel getting fired. That’s not the case if you’re Mark Letestu.
Letestu was placed on injured reserve with a hand injury and Jackets GM Scott Howson says Letestu will be out for six weeks. Letestu was acquired from the Penguins earlier this season and has fit in as well as you can in Columbus given how poorly things have gone there.
Since arriving in Columbus, Letestu has five goals and five assists in 25 games with the Blue Jackets. With his injury and now with Todd Richards taking over as the interim head coach, figuring out how the lines will work will be worth paying attention to in Columbus.
Expect that the pressure on Rick Nash and Jeff Carter to step up their game will only increase even more. The guy this could benefit the most is Derick Brassard as he struggled under Arniel. With a new head coach and old problems out of the way, he’ll look to find his game once again.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 6
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 38
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (39)