Jan 10, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
There’ll be plenty of stick-taps and applause in Anaheim and Minnesota tonight as two players — Ducks forward Teemu Selanne and Wild forward Matt Cullen — will play their 1,300th and 1,000th NHL contests, respectively.
Despite a balky knee and what’s shaping up to be a forgettable season for the Ducks, Selanne has been a force this season as he’s first on the team in points and second in power-play goals.
“He [Selanne] sure has done the test of time and deserves everything he gets,” head coach Bruce Boudreau told NHL.com. “You guys know as I do, he’s a better person than he is a player, and he’s a great player. The goals he’s gotten, the highlights that I’ve seen from his younger days, I mean they’re still in the top 10s of best goals ever.
“I told him today that Gordie Howe played until he was in his 50s, so I don’t see what your problem is.”
Cullen, meanwhile, will become just the 270th player in NHL history to hit the 1,000 mark as Minnesota hosts San Jose. Despite being something of a hockey nomad — he’s played in Anaheim, Florida, Italy (during the lockout), Carolina, New York, Carolina (again), Ottawa and Minnesota over the last nine years — Cullen’s been a vital part of some very good teams. He had 18 points in 25 games en route to the Hurricanes’ Stanley Cup victory in 2006 and was a key catalyst for the Wild as they raced to the top of the NHL standings in December.
Cullen said he’s excited about playing game No. 1000 in his home state of Minnesota. He grew up playing high school hockey in Moorhead and collegiately at St. Cloud State.
“For me growing up here and now being able to have my 1,000th game at home in front of the home crowd is special,” Cullen told FSN North. “I grew up watching the North Stars and wanting to play for the North Stars. It is more than I could ever hope for.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)