Jan 10, 2012, 4:44 PM EST
There’ll be plenty of stick-taps and applause in Anaheim and Minnesota tonight as two players — Ducks forward Teemu Selanne and Wild forward Matt Cullen — will play their 1,300th and 1,000th NHL contests, respectively.
Despite a balky knee and what’s shaping up to be a forgettable season for the Ducks, Selanne has been a force this season as he’s first on the team in points and second in power-play goals.
“He [Selanne] sure has done the test of time and deserves everything he gets,” head coach Bruce Boudreau told NHL.com. “You guys know as I do, he’s a better person than he is a player, and he’s a great player. The goals he’s gotten, the highlights that I’ve seen from his younger days, I mean they’re still in the top 10s of best goals ever.
“I told him today that Gordie Howe played until he was in his 50s, so I don’t see what your problem is.”
Cullen, meanwhile, will become just the 270th player in NHL history to hit the 1,000 mark as Minnesota hosts San Jose. Despite being something of a hockey nomad — he’s played in Anaheim, Florida, Italy (during the lockout), Carolina, New York, Carolina (again), Ottawa and Minnesota over the last nine years — Cullen’s been a vital part of some very good teams. He had 18 points in 25 games en route to the Hurricanes’ Stanley Cup victory in 2006 and was a key catalyst for the Wild as they raced to the top of the NHL standings in December.
Cullen said he’s excited about playing game No. 1000 in his home state of Minnesota. He grew up playing high school hockey in Moorhead and collegiately at St. Cloud State.
“For me growing up here and now being able to have my 1,000th game at home in front of the home crowd is special,” Cullen told FSN North. “I grew up watching the North Stars and wanting to play for the North Stars. It is more than I could ever hope for.”
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)