Jan 10, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
Apparently Karl Alzner isn’t too big a fan of Tim Tebow.
The Caps defenseman got to pay witness to Kings defenseman Jack Johnson celebrating a goal in style last night by Tebowing and he didn’t care too much for it at all. Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times hears it from Alzner after getting shown up.
“I understand he’s just trying to be funny, but still it’s kind of a stupid celebration,” Alzner said. “It’s like those teams in the world junior riding their stick giving high-fives across the bench.”
Giving up a goal is no fun for a team, but scoring a goal, especially as a defenseman, is so rare that blowing off steam with a celebration isn’t a big deal. Other leagues have made it a crime to enjoy success and as long as you’re not directly taunting a player, what’s the harm?
If a team doesn’t like seeing a guy celebrate, stop him from scoring. It’s that simple. Until then, Tebow away to your heart’s content. Players aren’t disrespecting opponents or the game by celebrating, they’re enjoying the moment. Now if they break out into a choreographed dance then we’ll really have something to yell about.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)