Jan 10, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
Apparently Karl Alzner isn’t too big a fan of Tim Tebow.
The Caps defenseman got to pay witness to Kings defenseman Jack Johnson celebrating a goal in style last night by Tebowing and he didn’t care too much for it at all. Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times hears it from Alzner after getting shown up.
“I understand he’s just trying to be funny, but still it’s kind of a stupid celebration,” Alzner said. “It’s like those teams in the world junior riding their stick giving high-fives across the bench.”
Giving up a goal is no fun for a team, but scoring a goal, especially as a defenseman, is so rare that blowing off steam with a celebration isn’t a big deal. Other leagues have made it a crime to enjoy success and as long as you’re not directly taunting a player, what’s the harm?
If a team doesn’t like seeing a guy celebrate, stop him from scoring. It’s that simple. Until then, Tebow away to your heart’s content. Players aren’t disrespecting opponents or the game by celebrating, they’re enjoying the moment. Now if they break out into a choreographed dance then we’ll really have something to yell about.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)