Jan 10, 2012, 9:11 AM EST
Apparently Karl Alzner isn’t too big a fan of Tim Tebow.
The Caps defenseman got to pay witness to Kings defenseman Jack Johnson celebrating a goal in style last night by Tebowing and he didn’t care too much for it at all. Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times hears it from Alzner after getting shown up.
“I understand he’s just trying to be funny, but still it’s kind of a stupid celebration,” Alzner said. “It’s like those teams in the world junior riding their stick giving high-fives across the bench.”
Giving up a goal is no fun for a team, but scoring a goal, especially as a defenseman, is so rare that blowing off steam with a celebration isn’t a big deal. Other leagues have made it a crime to enjoy success and as long as you’re not directly taunting a player, what’s the harm?
If a team doesn’t like seeing a guy celebrate, stop him from scoring. It’s that simple. Until then, Tebow away to your heart’s content. Players aren’t disrespecting opponents or the game by celebrating, they’re enjoying the moment. Now if they break out into a choreographed dance then we’ll really have something to yell about.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 25
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)