Jan 10, 2012, 9:11 AM EDT
Apparently Karl Alzner isn’t too big a fan of Tim Tebow.
The Caps defenseman got to pay witness to Kings defenseman Jack Johnson celebrating a goal in style last night by Tebowing and he didn’t care too much for it at all. Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times hears it from Alzner after getting shown up.
“I understand he’s just trying to be funny, but still it’s kind of a stupid celebration,” Alzner said. “It’s like those teams in the world junior riding their stick giving high-fives across the bench.”
Giving up a goal is no fun for a team, but scoring a goal, especially as a defenseman, is so rare that blowing off steam with a celebration isn’t a big deal. Other leagues have made it a crime to enjoy success and as long as you’re not directly taunting a player, what’s the harm?
If a team doesn’t like seeing a guy celebrate, stop him from scoring. It’s that simple. Until then, Tebow away to your heart’s content. Players aren’t disrespecting opponents or the game by celebrating, they’re enjoying the moment. Now if they break out into a choreographed dance then we’ll really have something to yell about.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 6
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)