Jan 10, 2012, 3:28 PM EST
Another day, another injury for the Edmonton Oilers.
The club has announced that sophomore sensation Jordan Eberle will miss 2-3 weeks of action with a sprained right knee. Eberle was hurt during Saturday’s game in Dallas after getting tangled up awkwardly with Stars forward Jamie Benn, playing just 1:53 before leaving the contest for good. On Monday, Eberle underwent an MRI that revealed the sprain.
“It’s never a good time for an injury,” he told the Oilers website. “But I’m going to focus on getting healthy and getting back to the lineup as soon as I can.”
The injury means Edmonton loses its top scorer and, most distressingly, another one of its young stars. Taylor Hall missed seven games earlier this season with a left shoulder injury and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is currently out 3-4 weeks with a shoulder ailment of his own.
On the bright side, the Oilers’ Twitter feed says Eberle is hoping to resume skating next week and rejoin the team by the All-Star break (Jan. 26-30.)
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (64)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)