Jan 10, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Another day, another injury for the Edmonton Oilers.
The club has announced that sophomore sensation Jordan Eberle will miss 2-3 weeks of action with a sprained right knee. Eberle was hurt during Saturday’s game in Dallas after getting tangled up awkwardly with Stars forward Jamie Benn, playing just 1:53 before leaving the contest for good. On Monday, Eberle underwent an MRI that revealed the sprain.
“It’s never a good time for an injury,” he told the Oilers website. “But I’m going to focus on getting healthy and getting back to the lineup as soon as I can.”
The injury means Edmonton loses its top scorer and, most distressingly, another one of its young stars. Taylor Hall missed seven games earlier this season with a left shoulder injury and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is currently out 3-4 weeks with a shoulder ailment of his own.
On the bright side, the Oilers’ Twitter feed says Eberle is hoping to resume skating next week and rejoin the team by the All-Star break (Jan. 26-30.)
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 13
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)