Jan 10, 2012, 3:28 PM EDT
Another day, another injury for the Edmonton Oilers.
The club has announced that sophomore sensation Jordan Eberle will miss 2-3 weeks of action with a sprained right knee. Eberle was hurt during Saturday’s game in Dallas after getting tangled up awkwardly with Stars forward Jamie Benn, playing just 1:53 before leaving the contest for good. On Monday, Eberle underwent an MRI that revealed the sprain.
“It’s never a good time for an injury,” he told the Oilers website. “But I’m going to focus on getting healthy and getting back to the lineup as soon as I can.”
The injury means Edmonton loses its top scorer and, most distressingly, another one of its young stars. Taylor Hall missed seven games earlier this season with a left shoulder injury and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is currently out 3-4 weeks with a shoulder ailment of his own.
On the bright side, the Oilers’ Twitter feed says Eberle is hoping to resume skating next week and rejoin the team by the All-Star break (Jan. 26-30.)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 0
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 2
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 12
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 28
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)