Jan 10, 2012, 10:40 PM EDT
For a goalie with a rather bland style, Jaroslav Halak sure has a flair for the dramatic.
Surely Montreal Canadiens fans must have seen flashes of the goalie who helped them claw their way to the 2010 Eastern Conference finals tonight, as he helped the St. Louis Blues shut out his former team 3-0.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Halak didn’t exactly a break much of a sweat as he needed just 19 saves in the game, but at least he had highlight moments like that breakaway stop on Tomas Plekanec. Carey Price helped Habs fans get over Halak’s departure with a superior season in 2010-11 and it was probably even to start off this year, but Lou Korac points out Halak’s dramatic improvement with Ken Hitchcock in charge:
In Hitchcock’s most recent coaching stint, both Pascal Leclaire and Steve Mason put together single-season runs that helped them make a ton of money that some might argue they didn’t really deserve.*
Halak already received a big payday thanks to his enthralling playoff run, but he might just earn those big bucks with Hitchcock watching from the bench – even if every night isn’t as exciting as this Tuesday in Montreal.
* – People tend to forget that Leclaire notched nine shutouts the season (2007-08) before Mason won the Calder Trophy with 10 of his own.
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 1
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 28
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)