Jan 10, 2012, 10:40 PM EST
For a goalie with a rather bland style, Jaroslav Halak sure has a flair for the dramatic.
Surely Montreal Canadiens fans must have seen flashes of the goalie who helped them claw their way to the 2010 Eastern Conference finals tonight, as he helped the St. Louis Blues shut out his former team 3-0.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Halak didn’t exactly a break much of a sweat as he needed just 19 saves in the game, but at least he had highlight moments like that breakaway stop on Tomas Plekanec. Carey Price helped Habs fans get over Halak’s departure with a superior season in 2010-11 and it was probably even to start off this year, but Lou Korac points out Halak’s dramatic improvement with Ken Hitchcock in charge:
In Hitchcock’s most recent coaching stint, both Pascal Leclaire and Steve Mason put together single-season runs that helped them make a ton of money that some might argue they didn’t really deserve.*
Halak already received a big payday thanks to his enthralling playoff run, but he might just earn those big bucks with Hitchcock watching from the bench – even if every night isn’t as exciting as this Tuesday in Montreal.
* – People tend to forget that Leclaire notched nine shutouts the season (2007-08) before Mason won the Calder Trophy with 10 of his own.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 17
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 11
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 18
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 39
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8