Jan 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Former St. Louis Blues general manager Ron Caron passed away Monday night at the age of 82.
By all accounts – and there are plenty of them circulating – Caron, aka The Professor, was quite the character.
One night at Maple Leaf Gardens, Caron could be heard shouting that [John] Kordic or some other Leaf miscreant, “should be in jail.” During another contentious game, Bob Stellick, then the Leafs’ public-relations chief, asked Caron to tone it down after a chair was sent flying in the press box. Caron drew himself to his full 5-foot-7 or so and challenged Stellick to a fight.
From a 2007 Globe and Mail story:
One time Caron and his Winnipeg Jets’ counterpart John Ferguson Sr. were so mad at each other that they were wrestling in the press box at Winnipeg Arena, in full view of the assembled masses.
Sorry to hear about ex-Blues GM Ron Caron’s passing. What a character. Remember him kicking a hole in wall of [Chicago] Stadium press box.
While with the Blues, Caron was responsible for acquiring, among others, Brett Hull and Adam Oates.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 5
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 7
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)