Jan 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Former St. Louis Blues general manager Ron Caron passed away Monday night at the age of 82.
By all accounts – and there are plenty of them circulating – Caron, aka The Professor, was quite the character.
One night at Maple Leaf Gardens, Caron could be heard shouting that [John] Kordic or some other Leaf miscreant, “should be in jail.” During another contentious game, Bob Stellick, then the Leafs’ public-relations chief, asked Caron to tone it down after a chair was sent flying in the press box. Caron drew himself to his full 5-foot-7 or so and challenged Stellick to a fight.
From a 2007 Globe and Mail story:
One time Caron and his Winnipeg Jets’ counterpart John Ferguson Sr. were so mad at each other that they were wrestling in the press box at Winnipeg Arena, in full view of the assembled masses.
Sorry to hear about ex-Blues GM Ron Caron’s passing. What a character. Remember him kicking a hole in wall of [Chicago] Stadium press box.
While with the Blues, Caron was responsible for acquiring, among others, Brett Hull and Adam Oates.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 30
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5