Jan 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Former St. Louis Blues general manager Ron Caron passed away Monday night at the age of 82.
By all accounts – and there are plenty of them circulating – Caron, aka The Professor, was quite the character.
One night at Maple Leaf Gardens, Caron could be heard shouting that [John] Kordic or some other Leaf miscreant, “should be in jail.” During another contentious game, Bob Stellick, then the Leafs’ public-relations chief, asked Caron to tone it down after a chair was sent flying in the press box. Caron drew himself to his full 5-foot-7 or so and challenged Stellick to a fight.
From a 2007 Globe and Mail story:
One time Caron and his Winnipeg Jets’ counterpart John Ferguson Sr. were so mad at each other that they were wrestling in the press box at Winnipeg Arena, in full view of the assembled masses.
Sorry to hear about ex-Blues GM Ron Caron’s passing. What a character. Remember him kicking a hole in wall of [Chicago] Stadium press box.
While with the Blues, Caron was responsible for acquiring, among others, Brett Hull and Adam Oates.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 22
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 72
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)