Jan 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Former St. Louis Blues general manager Ron Caron passed away Monday night at the age of 82.
By all accounts – and there are plenty of them circulating – Caron, aka The Professor, was quite the character.
One night at Maple Leaf Gardens, Caron could be heard shouting that [John] Kordic or some other Leaf miscreant, “should be in jail.” During another contentious game, Bob Stellick, then the Leafs’ public-relations chief, asked Caron to tone it down after a chair was sent flying in the press box. Caron drew himself to his full 5-foot-7 or so and challenged Stellick to a fight.
From a 2007 Globe and Mail story:
One time Caron and his Winnipeg Jets’ counterpart John Ferguson Sr. were so mad at each other that they were wrestling in the press box at Winnipeg Arena, in full view of the assembled masses.
Sorry to hear about ex-Blues GM Ron Caron’s passing. What a character. Remember him kicking a hole in wall of [Chicago] Stadium press box.
While with the Blues, Caron was responsible for acquiring, among others, Brett Hull and Adam Oates.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)