Jan 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Former St. Louis Blues general manager Ron Caron passed away Monday night at the age of 82.
By all accounts – and there are plenty of them circulating – Caron, aka The Professor, was quite the character.
One night at Maple Leaf Gardens, Caron could be heard shouting that [John] Kordic or some other Leaf miscreant, “should be in jail.” During another contentious game, Bob Stellick, then the Leafs’ public-relations chief, asked Caron to tone it down after a chair was sent flying in the press box. Caron drew himself to his full 5-foot-7 or so and challenged Stellick to a fight.
From a 2007 Globe and Mail story:
One time Caron and his Winnipeg Jets’ counterpart John Ferguson Sr. were so mad at each other that they were wrestling in the press box at Winnipeg Arena, in full view of the assembled masses.
Sorry to hear about ex-Blues GM Ron Caron’s passing. What a character. Remember him kicking a hole in wall of [Chicago] Stadium press box.
While with the Blues, Caron was responsible for acquiring, among others, Brett Hull and Adam Oates.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 43
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32