Jan 10, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT
Helene Elliott of the LA Times is reporting via Twitter that Anaheim Ducks general manager Bob Murray is headed back East for a scouting trip.
Jokes Elliott: “Anyone want to estimate number of rumors that will fly after he shows up somewhere?”
Depends. Does Murray’s trip include a visit to Toronto? Because there’s already been media speculation about Ryan Getzlaf being traded to the Leafs.
Granted, Murray has said the Ducks aren’t in rebuilding mode, and Getzlaf has said he wants to stay put. So maybe there won’t be any blockbusters involving Anaheim prior to the trade deadline.
However, you can’t ignore the fact Getzlaf and Hart Trophy winner Corey Perry are set to become unrestricted free agents at the end of next season. Their current combined cap hit is $10.65 million; their value on the open market would be considerably higher.
Will the Ducks – not a franchise that spends to the salary cap – be able to keep Getzlaf, Perry and Bobby Ryan ($5.1 million cap hit, signed until 2015) together for the long term without making costly sacrifices in other areas?
Anaheim has been among the worst defensive teams in the league the past few seasons. The back end will need to be addressed sooner or later, especially with Francois Beauchemin set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Toronto’s stay-at-home blueliner Luke Schenn could be a good fit for the Ducks, just to throw it out there.
Speaking of Beauchemin, the 31-year-old would draw considerable interest should he be made available by Murray, with Philadelphia being one potential destination.
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 1
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 3
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 26
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 23
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 60
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming