Jan 10, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT
Helene Elliott of the LA Times is reporting via Twitter that Anaheim Ducks general manager Bob Murray is headed back East for a scouting trip.
Jokes Elliott: “Anyone want to estimate number of rumors that will fly after he shows up somewhere?”
Depends. Does Murray’s trip include a visit to Toronto? Because there’s already been media speculation about Ryan Getzlaf being traded to the Leafs.
Granted, Murray has said the Ducks aren’t in rebuilding mode, and Getzlaf has said he wants to stay put. So maybe there won’t be any blockbusters involving Anaheim prior to the trade deadline.
However, you can’t ignore the fact Getzlaf and Hart Trophy winner Corey Perry are set to become unrestricted free agents at the end of next season. Their current combined cap hit is $10.65 million; their value on the open market would be considerably higher.
Will the Ducks – not a franchise that spends to the salary cap – be able to keep Getzlaf, Perry and Bobby Ryan ($5.1 million cap hit, signed until 2015) together for the long term without making costly sacrifices in other areas?
Anaheim has been among the worst defensive teams in the league the past few seasons. The back end will need to be addressed sooner or later, especially with Francois Beauchemin set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Toronto’s stay-at-home blueliner Luke Schenn could be a good fit for the Ducks, just to throw it out there.
Speaking of Beauchemin, the 31-year-old would draw considerable interest should he be made available by Murray, with Philadelphia being one potential destination.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)