Jan 10, 2012, 4:48 PM EST
Helene Elliott of the LA Times is reporting via Twitter that Anaheim Ducks general manager Bob Murray is headed back East for a scouting trip.
Jokes Elliott: “Anyone want to estimate number of rumors that will fly after he shows up somewhere?”
Depends. Does Murray’s trip include a visit to Toronto? Because there’s already been media speculation about Ryan Getzlaf being traded to the Leafs.
Granted, Murray has said the Ducks aren’t in rebuilding mode, and Getzlaf has said he wants to stay put. So maybe there won’t be any blockbusters involving Anaheim prior to the trade deadline.
However, you can’t ignore the fact Getzlaf and Hart Trophy winner Corey Perry are set to become unrestricted free agents at the end of next season. Their current combined cap hit is $10.65 million; their value on the open market would be considerably higher.
Will the Ducks – not a franchise that spends to the salary cap – be able to keep Getzlaf, Perry and Bobby Ryan ($5.1 million cap hit, signed until 2015) together for the long term without making costly sacrifices in other areas?
Anaheim has been among the worst defensive teams in the league the past few seasons. The back end will need to be addressed sooner or later, especially with Francois Beauchemin set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Toronto’s stay-at-home blueliner Luke Schenn could be a good fit for the Ducks, just to throw it out there.
Speaking of Beauchemin, the 31-year-old would draw considerable interest should he be made available by Murray, with Philadelphia being one potential destination.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 14
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)