Jan 10, 2012, 4:48 PM EDT
Helene Elliott of the LA Times is reporting via Twitter that Anaheim Ducks general manager Bob Murray is headed back East for a scouting trip.
Jokes Elliott: “Anyone want to estimate number of rumors that will fly after he shows up somewhere?”
Depends. Does Murray’s trip include a visit to Toronto? Because there’s already been media speculation about Ryan Getzlaf being traded to the Leafs.
Granted, Murray has said the Ducks aren’t in rebuilding mode, and Getzlaf has said he wants to stay put. So maybe there won’t be any blockbusters involving Anaheim prior to the trade deadline.
However, you can’t ignore the fact Getzlaf and Hart Trophy winner Corey Perry are set to become unrestricted free agents at the end of next season. Their current combined cap hit is $10.65 million; their value on the open market would be considerably higher.
Will the Ducks – not a franchise that spends to the salary cap – be able to keep Getzlaf, Perry and Bobby Ryan ($5.1 million cap hit, signed until 2015) together for the long term without making costly sacrifices in other areas?
Anaheim has been among the worst defensive teams in the league the past few seasons. The back end will need to be addressed sooner or later, especially with Francois Beauchemin set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer. Toronto’s stay-at-home blueliner Luke Schenn could be a good fit for the Ducks, just to throw it out there.
Speaking of Beauchemin, the 31-year-old would draw considerable interest should he be made available by Murray, with Philadelphia being one potential destination.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40