Jan 10, 2012, 8:23 AM EDT
We’ve heard from just about everyone else concerning Brad Marchand‘s low-bridge hit on Sami Salo that earned Marchand a five-game suspension, but the one voice we were missing out of all this was Marchand’s.
Marchand broke his silence via a blog on ESPNBoston.com and he did his best to explain himself, the hit, and the big talk coming his way out of Vancouver.
On the hit itself:
“It technically wasn’t a clip. Clipping is when you hit someone at the knees and I did not hit him at the knees. Anyone that has seen the video will see that I hit him in the upper thigh under the buttocks. They can call it a clipping, but they obviously don’t know the rules of hockey.”
Referees are going to love this. We’re sure that comment is going to endear him to the men in stripes the rest of his career. Marchand also might need an anatomy lesson out of all this. Thanks to this, a lot of conspiracy theorists will be borne out of this in Boston every time Marchand winds up in the box.
On Alain Vigneault’s comments that he is out to hurt people:
“He obviously wanted to take a shot at me and stir the pot for the hearing [Monday]. It just shows the class he has or lack thereof. I really am not going to respond or bite into what he’s trying to feed me there.”
Smart move to not dish it back to the coach, but bad for our business. Giving a shot back to him would’ve been a lot more fun and helped drag this soap opera on a bit longer. Marchand also said he doesn’t care what his reputation is and he’ll keep playing the same way no matter what. If you think this is the last we’ll hear from Marchand in his career, I’ve got a bridge in New York I’d like to sell you.
Speaking out like this will make him more of a hero in Boston and more reviled around the rest of the league and that’s just the way he wants it to be.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)