Jan 9, 2012, 3:55 PM EDT
The Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle is blowing the whistle on an elaborate table tennis ring within the Maple Leafs’
den of iniquity dressing room.
There was a big ping-pong battle just outside the dressing room on Monday as part of a fairly light-hearted day at the rink. Phil Kessel and [Dion] Phaneuf are the team’s top players, with others staying out of the games for now.
“I’m not really in the ping-pong right now,” [Joffrey] Lupul said. “I’m too far behind. Cost me too much money to play with these guys.”
It might seem harmless, but high-stakes pong is some serious business. Earlier this year, Las Vegas hosted the International Classic of Ping Pong, which featured a prize pool of $100,000.
Vegas, high stakes, competitive gaming, well-compensated pro athletes…you can see the slippery slope here. It won’t be long before Toronto’s room features two Pai Gow tables and a cigarette girl.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)