Jan 9, 2012, 9:33 AM EST
You know all about Chicago and Detroit and their game last night shows why they’re still the marquee matchup in the Central Division, but things are different this year.
Detroit’s win put them back in first place but it’s a lead that’s perilous at best as both Chicago and St. Louis are equal to them in points with 53. Factor in the Nashville Predators with 48 and you’ve got a division race that’s set up to be one of the best in the NHL this year.
With Ken Hitchcock taking over St. Louis and helping the Blues realize their potential, it’s no longer just Detroit and Chicago treating the other three teams like also-rans. The steady improvement of Nashville over the years and the Blues return to glory have made the Central Division into a four-way dance for one of the top spots in the Western Conference. Sorry Columbus, but your bad season couldn’t have come at a worse time.
After seeing the Pacific Division manage to put four out of five teams in the playoffs last year, the Central is where it’s at this season.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 18
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)