Jan 9, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
On a night when the Florida Panthers bested their former franchise goalie, they also got some bad news about the next guy.
It must have been a great scene, but you have to wonder if it was a bit bittersweet for the team’s management. Head coach Kevin Dineen revealed that goalie of the future Jacob Markstrom’s knee injury could keep him out for “some time” according to George Richards of the Miami Herald. A knee injury is especially troubling because that’s the same injury that ended his season early last year.
In a way, tonight’s combination of good and bad shows how far the Panthers have come in 2011-12. Instead of looking to much ballyhooed prospects like Markstrom and the potential for future brillaince, the team is giving fans reasons to bask in the present.
Ideally they’d be able to enjoy the best of both worlds, but much like Markstrom’s knee, that might take some time.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic