Jan 9, 2012, 2:35 PM EST
The injury occurred shortly after Sharp scored his 20th goal of the season in a 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit on Sunday and while it’s unclear exactly how Sharp got hurt, speculation is a series of whacks from Detroit’s Jiri Hudler did the damage.
Here’s video — you can see Hudler’s one-handed swipe, albeit an innocuous one, right before Sharp scores:
The loss is a big one for the ‘Hawks, as Sharp leads the team in game-winning goals and is third in scoring with 40 points through 42 games. The injury is also the first bit of bad luck Chicago’s “Big Four” has had in terms of health. Sharp, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane had combined to miss just one game this year (it was Hossa), a big reason why Chicago sits sixth in league scoring at 3.10 goals per game.
“[Sharp’s] certainly had a good first half for us,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “Across the board we want to make sure we’re playing the perfect team game [in his absence.]”
Quenneville said Ben Smith may be called up from AHL Rockford later today.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)