Jan 9, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
The injury occurred shortly after Sharp scored his 20th goal of the season in a 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit on Sunday and while it’s unclear exactly how Sharp got hurt, speculation is a series of whacks from Detroit’s Jiri Hudler did the damage.
Here’s video — you can see Hudler’s one-handed swipe, albeit an innocuous one, right before Sharp scores:
The loss is a big one for the ‘Hawks, as Sharp leads the team in game-winning goals and is third in scoring with 40 points through 42 games. The injury is also the first bit of bad luck Chicago’s “Big Four” has had in terms of health. Sharp, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane had combined to miss just one game this year (it was Hossa), a big reason why Chicago sits sixth in league scoring at 3.10 goals per game.
“[Sharp’s] certainly had a good first half for us,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “Across the board we want to make sure we’re playing the perfect team game [in his absence.]”
Quenneville said Ben Smith may be called up from AHL Rockford later today.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)