Jan 9, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
The injury occurred shortly after Sharp scored his 20th goal of the season in a 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit on Sunday and while it’s unclear exactly how Sharp got hurt, speculation is a series of whacks from Detroit’s Jiri Hudler did the damage.
Here’s video — you can see Hudler’s one-handed swipe, albeit an innocuous one, right before Sharp scores:
The loss is a big one for the ‘Hawks, as Sharp leads the team in game-winning goals and is third in scoring with 40 points through 42 games. The injury is also the first bit of bad luck Chicago’s “Big Four” has had in terms of health. Sharp, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane had combined to miss just one game this year (it was Hossa), a big reason why Chicago sits sixth in league scoring at 3.10 goals per game.
“[Sharp's] certainly had a good first half for us,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “Across the board we want to make sure we’re playing the perfect team game [in his absence.]“
Quenneville said Ben Smith may be called up from AHL Rockford later today.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 5
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)