Jan 9, 2012, 2:35 PM EST
The injury occurred shortly after Sharp scored his 20th goal of the season in a 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit on Sunday and while it’s unclear exactly how Sharp got hurt, speculation is a series of whacks from Detroit’s Jiri Hudler did the damage.
Here’s video — you can see Hudler’s one-handed swipe, albeit an innocuous one, right before Sharp scores:
The loss is a big one for the ‘Hawks, as Sharp leads the team in game-winning goals and is third in scoring with 40 points through 42 games. The injury is also the first bit of bad luck Chicago’s “Big Four” has had in terms of health. Sharp, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane had combined to miss just one game this year (it was Hossa), a big reason why Chicago sits sixth in league scoring at 3.10 goals per game.
“[Sharp’s] certainly had a good first half for us,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “Across the board we want to make sure we’re playing the perfect team game [in his absence.]”
Quenneville said Ben Smith may be called up from AHL Rockford later today.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 4
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)