Jan 9, 2012, 2:35 PM EDT
The injury occurred shortly after Sharp scored his 20th goal of the season in a 3-2 overtime loss to Detroit on Sunday and while it’s unclear exactly how Sharp got hurt, speculation is a series of whacks from Detroit’s Jiri Hudler did the damage.
Here’s video — you can see Hudler’s one-handed swipe, albeit an innocuous one, right before Sharp scores:
The loss is a big one for the ‘Hawks, as Sharp leads the team in game-winning goals and is third in scoring with 40 points through 42 games. The injury is also the first bit of bad luck Chicago’s “Big Four” has had in terms of health. Sharp, Marian Hossa, Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane had combined to miss just one game this year (it was Hossa), a big reason why Chicago sits sixth in league scoring at 3.10 goals per game.
“[Sharp's] certainly had a good first half for us,” coach Joel Quenneville said. “Across the board we want to make sure we’re playing the perfect team game [in his absence.]“
Quenneville said Ben Smith may be called up from AHL Rockford later today.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53