Jan 9, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
Giroux has been the League’s most complete player this season. He entered the week with 48 points, one fewer than League leader Henrik Sedin. But, he has played in only 36 games while Sedin was set to play in his 43rd game on Monday night. Giroux has scored 18 goals and dished out 30 assists. He’s averaging 1.33 points per game and is on pace for 98 points this season.
Not bad for a 23-year-old who wasn’t even a particularly high draft pick (22nd overall in 2006). Giroux also contributes defensively, averaging 2:33 per game on the penalty kill with 23 blocked shots.
A few others to consider:
—-Evgeni Malkin. Has a great opportunity to impress voters with all the injuries on the Penguins.
—-Marian Hossa. Not many people talking about this guy. Leads the Blackhawks with 44 points, +20, kills penalties.
—-Steven Stamkos. Has the best chance of any player to score 50 goals. Though it might be hard to vote for someone whose team doesn’t make the playoffs.
—-Daniel and Henrik Sedin. Both in the race for the Art Ross on a club that could win the Presidents’ Trophy.
—-Pavel Datsyuk. Started slow, but now only six points back of the league’s scoring lead. Not just a scorer either, as evidenced by all those Selke awards.
—-Zdeno Chara. The last defenseman to win the Hart was Chris Pronger, back in 1999-2000 when he had 62 points in 79 games for the Presidents’ Trophy-winning Blues. Chara’s on pace for 57 points, so not far off Pronger’s total. Question: if the Bruins lost Chara for the rest of the season, would they still have a legit shot at the Cup?
—-Shea Weber. Bit of a dark horse, but anyone that can rank third in scoring among NHL defensemen on a team so bereft of offensively talented forwards as Nashville deserves at least a mention.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)