Jan 9, 2012, 10:45 AM EST
Dustin Penner‘s tenure in Los Angeles hasn’t exactly been well received. The Kings brought him in last season to be a potential goal scorer and piece to get them deep into the playoffs. Since then he’s scored just four goals (five if you include the playoffs) and he’s found his way into the doghouse more often than not.
Now he’s finding new and inventive ways to get hurt… Like eating pancakes. Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider has the story of how Penner managed to hurt his back while eating breakfast.
“Apparently it’s one of those mysterious things, where you can throw it out (from) sneezing. I just leaned over to dip into some delicious pancakes that my wife made. It’s just like it [the pain] wraps around you and squeezes. … So it was disappointing. Hopefully it’s just an isolated incident, and not something that’s going to become chronic.”
Penner said the pain was so bad he needed help putting his clothes on. This won’t help the notion that Penner is always out of shape, a popular storyline during training camp for the struggling Kings forward.
Then again, if his wife’s pancakes are that good, gorging yourself on them is a delicious way to end up on the injured list.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 48
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)