Jan 9, 2012, 10:45 AM EDT
Dustin Penner‘s tenure in Los Angeles hasn’t exactly been well received. The Kings brought him in last season to be a potential goal scorer and piece to get them deep into the playoffs. Since then he’s scored just four goals (five if you include the playoffs) and he’s found his way into the doghouse more often than not.
Now he’s finding new and inventive ways to get hurt… Like eating pancakes. Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider has the story of how Penner managed to hurt his back while eating breakfast.
“Apparently it’s one of those mysterious things, where you can throw it out (from) sneezing. I just leaned over to dip into some delicious pancakes that my wife made. It’s just like it [the pain] wraps around you and squeezes. … So it was disappointing. Hopefully it’s just an isolated incident, and not something that’s going to become chronic.”
Penner said the pain was so bad he needed help putting his clothes on. This won’t help the notion that Penner is always out of shape, a popular storyline during training camp for the struggling Kings forward.
Then again, if his wife’s pancakes are that good, gorging yourself on them is a delicious way to end up on the injured list.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 4
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31