Jan 9, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
Zach Parise‘s wish list for his next big contract doesn’t just include a whole lot of money. He also wants to sign on with a team that has a legitimate chance to win a Stanley Cup, as he told Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger.
So let me ask: is that a good or a bad thing for the New Jersey Devils?
The crystal ball really seems kind of fuzzy when it comes to New Jersey’s future. Ilya Kovalchuk‘s $100 million contract is an easy source of laughter for cynics, but he seems to be picking up his game a bit. The real concerns lie in the once-sure-thing position of goaltending and the overall depth of the team.
Parise seems to agree that the future is in doubt.
“I think in my situation you have to look down the road,” Parise said. “What’s happened, the lack of us doing well in the playoffs the last few years, is irrelevant. I have to look past that and look at how are we building for the future?”
The catch is that the team might pivot on that very decision. Both goalies (Johan Hedberg and Martin Brodeur) will be unrestricted free agents as well this summer while almost every important forward (including Patrik Elias and Travis Zajac) will see their contracts expire in July 2013. (Check out the full, fuzzy picture here.)
One could imagine that the Devils are going to be willing to pony up for Parise, but if he wants a sure thing, New Jersey might not be the safest choice.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)