Jan 9, 2012, 6:36 PM EST
Apparently firing coach Scott Arniel was only the beginning.
Columbus general manager Scott Howson told reporters today to expect more personnel moves in an effort to salvage something from the Blue Jackets’ disastrous season. (Or, at the very least, cut payroll and mitigate what are sure to be significant financial losses for ownership.)
“We anticipate that we will be trading away some of our players,” Howson said.
Though the embattled GM wouldn’t specify, the potential trade candidates are many:
Pending UFA forward Vaclav Prospal has playoff rental written all over him.
Forward Samuel Pahlsson might not be worth his $2.65 million cap hit, but with an expiring contract, the veteran could be a worthwhile addition for a playoff team at the deadline. Remember, cap space isn’t an issue for a lot of contenders.
Jeff Carter has a no-trade clause; however, that doesn’t mean he wouldn’t waive it to get the hell out of, er, if Columbus wanted to move him.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)