Jan 9, 2012, 12:31 AM EST
Jeff Carter‘s nightmare campaign took a turn down Elm Street Sunday as he suffered a separated shoulder in a 7-4 loss to Anaheim. Carter was injured on his first shift of the third period when he was nailed by Ducks defenseman Francois Beauchemin, and didn’t return to the game.
“We’ll see where he’s at and we’ll get more detail tomorrow,” Columbus coach Scott Arniel told the Post-Dispatch…before wistfully staring off into space, wondering where it all went wrong.
Carter — he of the 11-year, $58-million contract — has been a major disappointment for the BJs. He’s alraedy missed 10 games with a foot fracture and when he has been healthy, the returns haven’t been great. Carter only has 10 goals on the year and five of those came from two multi-goal efforts (a two-goal game against Calgary and a hat trick against Nashville.)
This is the second high-priced acquisition Columbus has lost recently. On Dec. 30, defenseman James Wisniewski — who Columbus signed to a six-year, $33-million deal this summer — suffered a broken ankle that will keep him out of the lineup until mid-February.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)