Jan 9, 2012, 12:31 AM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s nightmare campaign took a turn down Elm Street Sunday as he suffered a separated shoulder in a 7-4 loss to Anaheim. Carter was injured on his first shift of the third period when he was nailed by Ducks defenseman Francois Beauchemin, and didn’t return to the game.
“We’ll see where he’s at and we’ll get more detail tomorrow,” Columbus coach Scott Arniel told the Post-Dispatch…before wistfully staring off into space, wondering where it all went wrong.
Carter — he of the 11-year, $58-million contract — has been a major disappointment for the BJs. He’s alraedy missed 10 games with a foot fracture and when he has been healthy, the returns haven’t been great. Carter only has 10 goals on the year and five of those came from two multi-goal efforts (a two-goal game against Calgary and a hat trick against Nashville.)
This is the second high-priced acquisition Columbus has lost recently. On Dec. 30, defenseman James Wisniewski — who Columbus signed to a six-year, $33-million deal this summer — suffered a broken ankle that will keep him out of the lineup until mid-February.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)