Jan 9, 2012, 12:31 AM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s nightmare campaign took a turn down Elm Street Sunday as he suffered a separated shoulder in a 7-4 loss to Anaheim. Carter was injured on his first shift of the third period when he was nailed by Ducks defenseman Francois Beauchemin, and didn’t return to the game.
“We’ll see where he’s at and we’ll get more detail tomorrow,” Columbus coach Scott Arniel told the Post-Dispatch…before wistfully staring off into space, wondering where it all went wrong.
Carter — he of the 11-year, $58-million contract — has been a major disappointment for the BJs. He’s alraedy missed 10 games with a foot fracture and when he has been healthy, the returns haven’t been great. Carter only has 10 goals on the year and five of those came from two multi-goal efforts (a two-goal game against Calgary and a hat trick against Nashville.)
This is the second high-priced acquisition Columbus has lost recently. On Dec. 30, defenseman James Wisniewski — who Columbus signed to a six-year, $33-million deal this summer — suffered a broken ankle that will keep him out of the lineup until mid-February.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 5
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)