Jan 9, 2012, 12:31 AM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s nightmare campaign took a turn down Elm Street Sunday as he suffered a separated shoulder in a 7-4 loss to Anaheim. Carter was injured on his first shift of the third period when he was nailed by Ducks defenseman Francois Beauchemin, and didn’t return to the game.
“We’ll see where he’s at and we’ll get more detail tomorrow,” Columbus coach Scott Arniel told the Post-Dispatch…before wistfully staring off into space, wondering where it all went wrong.
Carter — he of the 11-year, $58-million contract — has been a major disappointment for the BJs. He’s alraedy missed 10 games with a foot fracture and when he has been healthy, the returns haven’t been great. Carter only has 10 goals on the year and five of those came from two multi-goal efforts (a two-goal game against Calgary and a hat trick against Nashville.)
This is the second high-priced acquisition Columbus has lost recently. On Dec. 30, defenseman James Wisniewski — who Columbus signed to a six-year, $33-million deal this summer — suffered a broken ankle that will keep him out of the lineup until mid-February.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 22
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 31
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)