Jan 9, 2012, 12:31 AM EDT
Jeff Carter‘s nightmare campaign took a turn down Elm Street Sunday as he suffered a separated shoulder in a 7-4 loss to Anaheim. Carter was injured on his first shift of the third period when he was nailed by Ducks defenseman Francois Beauchemin, and didn’t return to the game.
“We’ll see where he’s at and we’ll get more detail tomorrow,” Columbus coach Scott Arniel told the Post-Dispatch…before wistfully staring off into space, wondering where it all went wrong.
Carter — he of the 11-year, $58-million contract — has been a major disappointment for the BJs. He’s alraedy missed 10 games with a foot fracture and when he has been healthy, the returns haven’t been great. Carter only has 10 goals on the year and five of those came from two multi-goal efforts (a two-goal game against Calgary and a hat trick against Nashville.)
This is the second high-priced acquisition Columbus has lost recently. On Dec. 30, defenseman James Wisniewski — who Columbus signed to a six-year, $33-million deal this summer — suffered a broken ankle that will keep him out of the lineup until mid-February.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)