Jan 9, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Before the season began, there were some prognosticators out there who thought the Capitals and Kings could wind up in the Stanley Cup finals. Yeah, oops.
After all, the Caps added Tomas Vokoun to a lineup that already had Alex Ovechkin, Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom, and Alex Semin. The Kings brought in Mike Richards and Simon Gagne to join up with Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, and Jonathan Quick. What wasn’t to like? Obviously, there was a lot wrong with the designs both teams had.
Instead, both teams have struggled and fired their head coaches (Bruce Boudreau and Terry Murray respectively) while replacing them with Dale Hunter in Washington and Darryl Sutter in L.A. Meanwhile, neither team can get consistent. The Caps are still finding their way around while the Kings still can’t score goals with regularity.
As Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com notes, the similarities in the struggles for both teams are startling.
Both sides are still getting things figured out but at least the Kings have points working for them. Since Sutter’s takeover they’re 5-1-3. The negative person sees four losses there, but the hopeful fan sees points in eight of nine games. With how the Pacific Division is this year, points of any kind are huge. As it is, L.A. is just a point out of the playoffs while the Caps are two points back of Pittsburgh for eighth.
Instead of being Cup contenders, these two will be happy to make the postseason right now. High expectations create a huge burden for some teams and now it’s up to both of them to show they’re not cracking under the pressure.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)