Jan 9, 2012, 12:27 PM EDT
Yesterday, Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault ripped Boston coach Claude Julien for defending Brad Marchand after the Bruins forward low-bridged Sami Salo on Saturday at TD Garden, leaving the Vancouver defenseman with a concussion.
“Marchand — this is just my feeling on this,” said Vigneault. “Someday he’s going to get it. Somebody is going to say enough is enough and they’re going to hurt the kid, because he plays to hurt players and in my mind if the league doesn’t take care of it, somebody else will.”
Today, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli addressed Vigneault’s comments in the third day of the two teams’ war of words.
“[Marchand] is no dirtier than maybe two or three of their players,” Chiarelli told reporters “After a game like [Saturday's], you see all the high-handed propaganda, you feel the need to respond. Whether it’s from GMs, coaches or players, I don’t like to hear that kind of stuff.”
Chiarelli accused the Canucks of mounting a propaganda campaign against Marchand to influence the league ahead of this afternoon’s disciplinary hearing that could earn the Boston player a suspension.
“The lobbying, propaganda in advance of the hearing is distasteful,” he said.
Julien, not to be outdone, had a few things to say himself.
“I guess we’re stupid,” he said sarcastically. “We’re idiots. They’re so much more intelligent than everybody else. That’s the way they act.”
Julien also accused the Canucks of hypocrisy: “Sometimes you have to look in your own backyard.”
Related: CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty with more on this story.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)