Video: Marchand discusses Salo hit, possible suspension

Jan 8, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT

BostonBruinsTV spoke with Nose Face Killah today about his hit on Vancouver’s Sami Salo:

Few notes:

– Marchand was at his cherubic best during the interview. By the end I wanted to buy him a present.

– His thought process prior to low-bridging: “You look up and you see a guy that’s 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 coming in on you…”

– A word on that thought process: According to NHL.com there are 805 players in the league and at 5-foot-9, Marchand is one of the shortest (only 11 players are shorter). Everybody towers over him, so to suggest the looming presence of Sami Salo justifies low-bridging is a tough argument to make. Saying Marchand should be able to go low because he’s small is like giving headshot lenience to Zdeno Chara because he’s tall. If you want to go that route, you’re opening Pandora’s Box.

– Marchand deserves credit for saying if the league says that type of hit’s illegal, he’ll take it out of his game.

– The question nobody asked was about Marchand’s history, which — assuming he gets suspended — will play a major role in the decision. Aside from his recent infractions (two-game suspension for a headshot, fine for slew-footing) there’s also the severity of Shanahan’s rulings for repeat offenders. Andy Sutton, Dan Carcillo and Rene Bourque were suspended for a total of 20 games for their second infractions; in terms of fine-then-suspension, Phoenix’s Raffi Torres got two games for charging Nate Prosser after being fined for elbowing Jan Hejda.

1. salmon90 - Jan 8, 2012 at 4:19 PM

So he says it wasn’t intentional and then sayd Man up and admit it was cheap Marchand. “I don’t know what he’s going to do” – Marchand. What makes this great is that he’s trying to make it out like Salo was coming in for murder! Yes because Sami Salo is known for hammering guys. This isn’t Ben Eager or Dan Carcillo coming in for a headshot. Even Jack Edwards would admit that. And then at the end he admits to doing it before and that he’ll take it out of his game if necessary. Take what out Brad? Thought you were just getting out of the way.

• cmdaw - Jan 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

His point was that if the league declares the method he used for getting out of the way illegal, then he’ll stop doing it. Really not that hard to comprehend.

I find it fascinating the way people refuse to use logical thought processes to connect the dots when it comes to something a player they dislike’s statements.

• salmon90 - Jan 8, 2012 at 5:55 PM

The whole thing is laughable. He’s saying he was trying to get out of the way and then admits to this ‘move’ (submarining) that he’s done before. And you’re saying that this ‘move’ (submarining) is his method of getting out of the way? What!! What if Burrow’s move was to elbow someone in the face as his way of avoiding a hit. “I was just trying to avoid the hit – honest. I didn’t mean to hurt him. I’m just protecting myself from a concussion”. How about shoulder to shoulder Brad? He’ll take it out if the league thinks it’s illegal – you think?? Your right Brad – time to change it up. And maybe take the cheap shots to the head and the slewfooting while your at it. These aren’t just wild allegations by the way. He’s actually been in trouble with the league twice this year already. It’s fascinating that you can see this play as an innocent method of getting out of the way where no intentional harm was meant. How is their any ‘logic’ to that?

• Ralphie - Jan 8, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Salmonella. Making oneself feel important through the execution of useless whining, complaining, propaganda, rambling and repeated nonsense.

Story after Marchand story

Post after Marchand post

PHT will post Marchand stories every day so you can deliver your outbursts (except when Mommy needs her laptop back.)

• cmdaw - Jan 8, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I’m not saying I like or agree with the way he got out of the way, I’m just saying that it isn’t hard to comprehend what Marchand was saying. Even as a Bruins fan, I think that he took it too far. There were a variety of methods he could have used to either avoid the hit or minimize the contact. Including not dropping quite so low. Regardless of what his reasoning is, I have difficulty stomaching a move that puts primary contact that low. I have difficulty accepting it from any team, including the ones I’m a fan of.

But the point I was making is that people don’t like Marchand to begin with, so therefore they refuse to allow themselves to use any brain power to understand what he was saying. He explained his rationalization of the move, he also stated that if it isn’t acceptable, he’ll make the effort to remove that from his game. It’s also fascinating to watch people just completely fabricate statements, particularly when the original text is there in black and white. At no point in my previous comment did I state that I thought it was innocent or acceptable. I simply pointed out that it wasn’t difficult to understand what Marchand was saying.

2. foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM

If you watch the replay, right before that hit Marchand was punching him….So I can see Salo trying to kill him in the HIGHLY EMOTIONAL game. It also looks like Salo was starting to come off his skates to hit him!

• cmutimmah - Jan 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Wow… really? He was coming off his skates because some guy decided to go at his knees.

Marchand keeps taking his unfortunate nose out on the world…

3. salmon90 - Jan 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Ralphie -Propaganda? whoa! Not whining either. We won the game because Marchand is a moron and now we get to see him suspended. Its all smiles over here. You’ll see whining tomorrow from Coach Claude when he adamantly states that Marchand feared Big Bad Salo was going to maim him so his only recourse was to duck out of the way. But we know who the real ‘stand-up’ team is.

• canucklehead3 - Jan 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Did you really just call the Canucks a stand up team? Come on man.
      I’m a huge canuck fan, but we cleary have players that dive and
      don’t play a “stand up” game.

Ganging up on Thornton and Weise backing off from the fight are not “stand up” moves

• Ralphie - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Ha ha. WE won the CUP.

Nuf’ said.

4. salmon90 - Jan 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM

5. salmon90 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:01 PM

or like this?

6. salmon90 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:05 PM

7. salmon90 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

8. foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

OR LIKE THESE!

• foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM

This is the same video as the link above

9. foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

• foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I can go all day with this!

• foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM

• foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:47 PM

10. foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

This one is just funny!

11. imleftcoast - Jan 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Wasn’t he running his mouth in the run, and then he’s defending himself? This should be 10 games based on the video, the comments before the game, his history and this explanation. He just made it worse for himself.

12. blomfeld - Jan 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

THE SEDINS AT THEIR “DAY” JOB !

• foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

13. elvispocomo - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:30 PM

foodforthesoul28, you’re missing the point. No one is claiming to be perfect, except for Bruins fans. If you want to use an argument about the Canucks diving or being reprehensible or arrogant, you should make sure you aren’t throwing stones from glass houses.

• blomfeld - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:41 PM

hey elvispocomo & leftcoast – why don’t you two metro’s just go back to your respective “Aquilini-manufactured” green houses and listen to Abba music, eh ? …

ps: and how does someone using the King’s name support the Canucks ? … you’re seriously gonna “get it” man …

• foodforthesoul28 - Jan 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM

How am I? With the Marchand punching thing? I’m showing that the Cunucks don’t stand up for themselves with things like that another perfect example is Weise or how ever you spell it who backed out of a fight he agreed to engage in and don’t tell me that’s bs because the reff even heard it! I think I do see the point. I threw that Marchand punching vid in because it I think it’s funny how Sedin lets him use his head as a punching bag. I’m not perfect and the Bruins certainly are not perfect. But when it comes to diving and cheap plays and teams that don’t stand up for themselves Vancouver Cunucks outrank Boston in every one of those categories. Does Boston have some players that make bad choices for hits? YES. Marchand especially! I can’t stand when he plays like that. I love him when he is scoring short handed goals and doing things right but please no cheap crap. Lucic is borderline to me… I have not really seen him do too much to make me question him. I’m not trying to be arrogant or make the Bruins sound like the Greates thing to walk the Earth of all time, I’m simply telling someone to take a look in the mirror. I mean when someone tells me that the Bruins (which I am a fan of so i will stick up for them) dive and are dirtier than the Cunucks, I’m going to come back and show who really is arrogant, cheap, diving, and cowarldy. ***Not trying to offend anyone***

• blomfeld - Jan 9, 2012 at 12:07 AM

foodforthesoul28 – you’re being way too nice and diplomatic … please remember that the arsonists and car-flippers here in Vancouver don’t care about reason or truth … real hockey is the least of their worries, as all they care about is themselves … this was put on full display last June, when they came out “100,000 strong” and attempted to destroy our city … the bottom line is that little Marchand has made the Canucks look foolish on more than one occasion now and it’s starting to really get under their skin … in the old days, a “good” guy like Harold Snepsts would have taken care of business and all would be fine … today however, our Canucks team is infested with a bunch of cowardly, “millionaire” yes-men, whose only loyalty is to that of Aquilini Industries …

• foodforthesoul28 - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:13 AM

blomfeld, Fair enough… But aren’t I supposed to be nice and Diplomatic?

14. davebabychreturns - Jan 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM

You guys keep spelling “Marshmont” wrong.

PS. If it’s legal for one of the shortest players in the league to take the knees out on players taller than him, does that mean it’s also legal for the 600 guys taller than Marshmont to hit him in the head?

15. neelyisgod - Jan 9, 2012 at 5:12 AM

I love Marchand! Love to have him on this team. After all these years of hating players around the league like him, we finally have one of the best all around players and the Cup and everyone hates it. This is a beautiful thing!

16. Ralphie - Jan 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Samonella is a retard. How laughable; he opens up the floodgate to hundreds of Canuck video’s of them cheap-shotting, flopping, etc, etc…just generally being the pussies and cheap dirtbags they are by posting a few on the B’s. In Salmonella’s little world the Canucks are perfect – but he forgets that the film on the scumbag Canucks doesn’t lie – neither does public opinion.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches