Jan 8, 2012, 4:04 PM EST
– Marchand was at his cherubic best during the interview. By the end I wanted to buy him a present.
– His thought process prior to low-bridging: “You look up and you see a guy that’s 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 coming in on you…”
– A word on that thought process: According to NHL.com there are 805 players in the league and at 5-foot-9, Marchand is one of the shortest (only 11 players are shorter). Everybody towers over him, so to suggest the looming presence of Sami Salo justifies low-bridging is a tough argument to make. Saying Marchand should be able to go low because he’s small is like giving headshot lenience to Zdeno Chara because he’s tall. If you want to go that route, you’re opening Pandora’s Box.
– Marchand deserves credit for saying if the league says that type of hit’s illegal, he’ll take it out of his game.
– The question nobody asked was about Marchand’s history, which — assuming he gets suspended — will play a major role in the decision. Aside from his recent infractions (two-game suspension for a headshot, fine for slew-footing) there’s also the severity of Shanahan’s rulings for repeat offenders. Andy Sutton, Dan Carcillo and Rene Bourque were suspended for a total of 20 games for their second infractions; in terms of fine-then-suspension, Phoenix’s Raffi Torres got two games for charging Nate Prosser after being fined for elbowing Jan Hejda.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11