Jan 8, 2012, 4:04 PM EDT
– Marchand was at his cherubic best during the interview. By the end I wanted to buy him a present.
– His thought process prior to low-bridging: “You look up and you see a guy that’s 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 coming in on you…”
– A word on that thought process: According to NHL.com there are 805 players in the league and at 5-foot-9, Marchand is one of the shortest (only 11 players are shorter). Everybody towers over him, so to suggest the looming presence of Sami Salo justifies low-bridging is a tough argument to make. Saying Marchand should be able to go low because he’s small is like giving headshot lenience to Zdeno Chara because he’s tall. If you want to go that route, you’re opening Pandora’s Box.
– Marchand deserves credit for saying if the league says that type of hit’s illegal, he’ll take it out of his game.
– The question nobody asked was about Marchand’s history, which — assuming he gets suspended — will play a major role in the decision. Aside from his recent infractions (two-game suspension for a headshot, fine for slew-footing) there’s also the severity of Shanahan’s rulings for repeat offenders. Andy Sutton, Dan Carcillo and Rene Bourque were suspended for a total of 20 games for their second infractions; in terms of fine-then-suspension, Phoenix’s Raffi Torres got two games for charging Nate Prosser after being fined for elbowing Jan Hejda.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)