Jan 8, 2012, 4:04 PM EST
— Marchand was at his cherubic best during the interview. By the end I wanted to buy him a present.
— His thought process prior to low-bridging: “You look up and you see a guy that’s 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 coming in on you…”
— A word on that thought process: According to NHL.com there are 805 players in the league and at 5-foot-9, Marchand is one of the shortest (only 11 players are shorter). Everybody towers over him, so to suggest the looming presence of Sami Salo justifies low-bridging is a tough argument to make. Saying Marchand should be able to go low because he’s small is like giving headshot lenience to Zdeno Chara because he’s tall. If you want to go that route, you’re opening Pandora’s Box.
— Marchand deserves credit for saying if the league says that type of hit’s illegal, he’ll take it out of his game.
— The question nobody asked was about Marchand’s history, which — assuming he gets suspended — will play a major role in the decision. Aside from his recent infractions (two-game suspension for a headshot, fine for slew-footing) there’s also the severity of Shanahan’s rulings for repeat offenders. Andy Sutton, Dan Carcillo and Rene Bourque were suspended for a total of 20 games for their second infractions; in terms of fine-then-suspension, Phoenix’s Raffi Torres got two games for charging Nate Prosser after being fined for elbowing Jan Hejda.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 39
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 65
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 71
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)