Jan 8, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
More bad injury news for the Pittsburgh Penguins. According to coach Dan Bylsma, Jordan Staal is out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury and James Neal has a broken foot that will keep him out “weeks, not days.”
Pittsburgh’s also lost four straight and finds itself just one point clear of ninth-place Winnipeg in the Eastern Conference.
Is it time to discuss the possibility of the Penguins missing the playoffs? At this point you’d have to classify that as unlikely, but you can’t dismiss it entirely. To do so would be unfair to Crosby, Letang, Staal and Neal. Not many teams could lose those four for extended periods and keep winning.
Of course, another potential scenario has the Pens squeaking into the playoffs, getting healthy and handing a top seed in the East a “you gotta be kidding me” first-round matchup.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)