Jan 8, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
More bad injury news for the Pittsburgh Penguins. According to coach Dan Bylsma, Jordan Staal is out 4-6 weeks with a knee injury and James Neal has a broken foot that will keep him out “weeks, not days.”
Pittsburgh’s also lost four straight and finds itself just one point clear of ninth-place Winnipeg in the Eastern Conference.
Is it time to discuss the possibility of the Penguins missing the playoffs? At this point you’d have to classify that as unlikely, but you can’t dismiss it entirely. To do so would be unfair to Crosby, Letang, Staal and Neal. Not many teams could lose those four for extended periods and keep winning.
Of course, another potential scenario has the Pens squeaking into the playoffs, getting healthy and handing a top seed in the East a “you gotta be kidding me” first-round matchup.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22