Jan 8, 2012, 11:44 PM EDT
Sunday was a bad news, worse news kind of night for the Chicago Blackhawks.
The bad news was blowing a two-goal lead to divisional rival Detroit in a 3-2 overtime loss.
The worse news was losing Patrick Sharp.
Sharp left in the first period after suffering an upper-body injury. Prior to getting hurt, he’d scored the Hawks’ second goal of the game, his 20th of the season, at 4:19 of the first period and played a total of eight shifts — but didn’t return for a ninth. The club announced he was done for the night prior to the third period but didn’t say when or how the injury occurred.
“He’s got an upper-body (injury),” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said after the game. “We’re going to do some tests. We’ll know more tomorrow.”
The Sharp injury is the latest in Chicago’s recent string of frustrations. The ‘Hawks are now winless in 2012 and have lost five of six, which has allowed Detroit to leapfrog them in the standings. Losing Sharp would be a major blow — he leads the team in game-winning goals, with five.
Related: Highlights from Detroit’s 3-2 OT win over Chicago.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 0
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 6
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 49
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)