Jan 8, 2012, 11:44 PM EDT
Sunday was a bad news, worse news kind of night for the Chicago Blackhawks.
The bad news was blowing a two-goal lead to divisional rival Detroit in a 3-2 overtime loss.
The worse news was losing Patrick Sharp.
Sharp left in the first period after suffering an upper-body injury. Prior to getting hurt, he’d scored the Hawks’ second goal of the game, his 20th of the season, at 4:19 of the first period and played a total of eight shifts — but didn’t return for a ninth. The club announced he was done for the night prior to the third period but didn’t say when or how the injury occurred.
“He’s got an upper-body (injury),” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said after the game. “We’re going to do some tests. We’ll know more tomorrow.”
The Sharp injury is the latest in Chicago’s recent string of frustrations. The ‘Hawks are now winless in 2012 and have lost five of six, which has allowed Detroit to leapfrog them in the standings. Losing Sharp would be a major blow — he leads the team in game-winning goals, with five.
Related: Highlights from Detroit’s 3-2 OT win over Chicago.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)