Jan 8, 2012, 11:44 PM EDT
Sunday was a bad news, worse news kind of night for the Chicago Blackhawks.
The bad news was blowing a two-goal lead to divisional rival Detroit in a 3-2 overtime loss.
The worse news was losing Patrick Sharp.
Sharp left in the first period after suffering an upper-body injury. Prior to getting hurt, he’d scored the Hawks’ second goal of the game, his 20th of the season, at 4:19 of the first period and played a total of eight shifts — but didn’t return for a ninth. The club announced he was done for the night prior to the third period but didn’t say when or how the injury occurred.
“He’s got an upper-body (injury),” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said after the game. “We’re going to do some tests. We’ll know more tomorrow.”
The Sharp injury is the latest in Chicago’s recent string of frustrations. The ‘Hawks are now winless in 2012 and have lost five of six, which has allowed Detroit to leapfrog them in the standings. Losing Sharp would be a major blow — he leads the team in game-winning goals, with five.
Related: Highlights from Detroit’s 3-2 OT win over Chicago.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (42)