Jan 8, 2012, 11:44 PM EDT
Sunday was a bad news, worse news kind of night for the Chicago Blackhawks.
The bad news was blowing a two-goal lead to divisional rival Detroit in a 3-2 overtime loss.
The worse news was losing Patrick Sharp.
Sharp left in the first period after suffering an upper-body injury. Prior to getting hurt, he’d scored the Hawks’ second goal of the game, his 20th of the season, at 4:19 of the first period and played a total of eight shifts — but didn’t return for a ninth. The club announced he was done for the night prior to the third period but didn’t say when or how the injury occurred.
“He’s got an upper-body (injury),” Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said after the game. “We’re going to do some tests. We’ll know more tomorrow.”
The Sharp injury is the latest in Chicago’s recent string of frustrations. The ‘Hawks are now winless in 2012 and have lost five of six, which has allowed Detroit to leapfrog them in the standings. Losing Sharp would be a major blow — he leads the team in game-winning goals, with five.
Related: Highlights from Detroit’s 3-2 OT win over Chicago.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)