Jan 8, 2012, 12:42 AM EST
After being stuck on 499 for the last two games, Calgary forward Jarome Iginla joined the 500-goal club tonight against the Minnesota Wild. Iginla notched his historic marker with 11:27 left in the third period to give the Flames a 2-0 lead; it was his 34th career tally against the Wild.
Assists on the goal went to Curtis Glencross and Olli Jokinen, though an unofficial assist could’ve gone to Minnesota defenseman Clayton Stoner, as the puck caromed off his skate and past goaltender Niklas Backstrom.
With the goal, Iginla became just the 42nd player in NHL history to notch 500 career goals and the second to accomplish it wearing a Flames uniform. The first Calgary player to do it was Lanny McDonald, though it should be noted Iginla is the only one to score all 500 while wearing a Flames uniform.
The most impressive feat might be the speed in which Iginla got to 500 — it took him just 1149 regular-season contests, faster than Hockey Hall of Famers Gilbert Perreault, Stan Mikita, Johnny Bucyk and Ron Francis.
Here’s video of the goal:
Iginla now needs just two more goals to pass another ex-Flames winger on the list — Joe Mullen.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)