Jan 8, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
After being stuck on 499 for the last two games, Calgary forward Jarome Iginla joined the 500-goal club tonight against the Minnesota Wild. Iginla notched his historic marker with 11:27 left in the third period to give the Flames a 2-0 lead; it was his 34th career tally against the Wild.
Assists on the goal went to Curtis Glencross and Olli Jokinen, though an unofficial assist could’ve gone to Minnesota defenseman Clayton Stoner, as the puck caromed off his skate and past goaltender Niklas Backstrom.
With the goal, Iginla became just the 42nd player in NHL history to notch 500 career goals and the second to accomplish it wearing a Flames uniform. The first Calgary player to do it was Lanny McDonald, though it should be noted Iginla is the only one to score all 500 while wearing a Flames uniform.
The most impressive feat might be the speed in which Iginla got to 500 — it took him just 1149 regular-season contests, faster than Hockey Hall of Famers Gilbert Perreault, Stan Mikita, Johnny Bucyk and Ron Francis.
Here’s video of the goal:
Iginla now needs just two more goals to pass another ex-Flames winger on the list — Joe Mullen.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 10
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 3
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)