Jan 8, 2012, 12:42 AM EDT
After being stuck on 499 for the last two games, Calgary forward Jarome Iginla joined the 500-goal club tonight against the Minnesota Wild. Iginla notched his historic marker with 11:27 left in the third period to give the Flames a 2-0 lead; it was his 34th career tally against the Wild.
Assists on the goal went to Curtis Glencross and Olli Jokinen, though an unofficial assist could’ve gone to Minnesota defenseman Clayton Stoner, as the puck caromed off his skate and past goaltender Niklas Backstrom.
With the goal, Iginla became just the 42nd player in NHL history to notch 500 career goals and the second to accomplish it wearing a Flames uniform. The first Calgary player to do it was Lanny McDonald, though it should be noted Iginla is the only one to score all 500 while wearing a Flames uniform.
The most impressive feat might be the speed in which Iginla got to 500 — it took him just 1149 regular-season contests, faster than Hockey Hall of Famers Gilbert Perreault, Stan Mikita, Johnny Bucyk and Ron Francis.
Here’s video of the goal:
Iginla now needs just two more goals to pass another ex-Flames winger on the list — Joe Mullen.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)