Jan 8, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
Going into Washington’s game against the San Jose Sharks on Saturday night, the Capitals were 9-0 with defenseman Mike Green in the lineup. After the 5-2 defeat in northern California, the team fell to 9-1 and it may be a while before we get to add to those totals. He only played three shifts and missed the last 10 minutes of the second period—and never appeared in the final frame. For those keeping track at home, the comeback attempt lasted all of 26 shifts in a game and a half.
After the game, Caps head coach Dale Hunter said that Green was removed from the game because he felt tightness in his injured groin. Like teammate Nicklas Backstrom before the game, Green was taken out of the game as a precautionary measure. He’s already missed 29 games with a sprained ankle and his injured groin, so the last thing the Caps want to do is take any extra risks with a player that has already struggled with injuries this year.
There was worry that Green left the game due to an injury he may have sustained when he was drilled with a tough check from Andrew Desjardins in the second, but Hunter explained that Green’s absence in the third period was unrelated to the body check. The good news is that it could just be his previous injury flaring up a little bit.
Of course, the bad news is that his previous injury may be flaring up.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)