Jan 8, 2012, 8:16 PM EDT
Chalk up another ugly defensive outing by the Flyers and their high-priced goalie, Ilya Bryzgalov.
Sunday evening in Ottawa, Philadelphia surrendered four straight third-period goals to lose, 6-4, to the Senators.
Bryzgalov stopped 32 of the 37 shots he faced, with Ottawa’s sixth goal scored into an empty net. The 31-year-old was coming off a solid outing in yesterday’s 3-2 OT victory over the Senators in Philadelphia, but that effort will quickly be forgotten.
Ottawa’s winning goal came with just 1:11 remaining on a long point shot by defenseman Filip Kuba.
The loss isn’t all on Bryzgalov, but we all know he’ll get the most attention. Be interesting to see how he handles it. Maybe if he makes a bunch of jokes everyone will think it’s cute.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)