Jan 8, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
“He should be getting a rest,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal, insinuating that a suspension from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan should be forthcoming.
Ott received a two-minute checking to the head penalty on the play, along with a five-minute major for fighting Edmonton’s Josh Green. While Lander appeared no worse for wear — “my head is good, no problem,” he said following the game — Green was insistent the hit was dirty cheese.
“I’m not so sure it was an elbow by him, but definitely a head shot. He comes running down from the point a lot to hit guys who are kind of engaged in another battle,” said Green. “I thought it was the right thing to do to stand up for Anton.”
Green then had some words for Ott as the two sat in their respective penalty boxes.
“I told him it was a dirty play because he was pretty defenseless,” he said.
As far as possible suspension goes, Ott could be seen as a repeat offender having been suspended three times before — once for a hit to the head of Jordan Leopold, once for eye-gouging Travis Moen during a fight and once for low-bridging Carlo Colaiacovo.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)