Jan 8, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
“He should be getting a rest,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal, insinuating that a suspension from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan should be forthcoming.
Ott received a two-minute checking to the head penalty on the play, along with a five-minute major for fighting Edmonton’s Josh Green. While Lander appeared no worse for wear — “my head is good, no problem,” he said following the game — Green was insistent the hit was dirty cheese.
“I’m not so sure it was an elbow by him, but definitely a head shot. He comes running down from the point a lot to hit guys who are kind of engaged in another battle,” said Green. “I thought it was the right thing to do to stand up for Anton.”
Green then had some words for Ott as the two sat in their respective penalty boxes.
“I told him it was a dirty play because he was pretty defenseless,” he said.
As far as possible suspension goes, Ott could be seen as a repeat offender having been suspended three times before — once for a hit to the head of Jordan Leopold, once for eye-gouging Travis Moen during a fight and once for low-bridging Carlo Colaiacovo.
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 7
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 2
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 43
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 26
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 33
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 9
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)