Jan 8, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
“He should be getting a rest,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal, insinuating that a suspension from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan should be forthcoming.
Ott received a two-minute checking to the head penalty on the play, along with a five-minute major for fighting Edmonton’s Josh Green. While Lander appeared no worse for wear — “my head is good, no problem,” he said following the game — Green was insistent the hit was dirty cheese.
“I’m not so sure it was an elbow by him, but definitely a head shot. He comes running down from the point a lot to hit guys who are kind of engaged in another battle,” said Green. “I thought it was the right thing to do to stand up for Anton.”
Green then had some words for Ott as the two sat in their respective penalty boxes.
“I told him it was a dirty play because he was pretty defenseless,” he said.
As far as possible suspension goes, Ott could be seen as a repeat offender having been suspended three times before — once for a hit to the head of Jordan Leopold, once for eye-gouging Travis Moen during a fight and once for low-bridging Carlo Colaiacovo.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)