Jan 8, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
“He should be getting a rest,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal, insinuating that a suspension from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan should be forthcoming.
Ott received a two-minute checking to the head penalty on the play, along with a five-minute major for fighting Edmonton’s Josh Green. While Lander appeared no worse for wear — “my head is good, no problem,” he said following the game — Green was insistent the hit was dirty cheese.
“I’m not so sure it was an elbow by him, but definitely a head shot. He comes running down from the point a lot to hit guys who are kind of engaged in another battle,” said Green. “I thought it was the right thing to do to stand up for Anton.”
Green then had some words for Ott as the two sat in their respective penalty boxes.
“I told him it was a dirty play because he was pretty defenseless,” he said.
As far as possible suspension goes, Ott could be seen as a repeat offender having been suspended three times before — once for a hit to the head of Jordan Leopold, once for eye-gouging Travis Moen during a fight and once for low-bridging Carlo Colaiacovo.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)