Jan 8, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
“He should be getting a rest,” Renney told the Edmonton Journal, insinuating that a suspension from NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan should be forthcoming.
Ott received a two-minute checking to the head penalty on the play, along with a five-minute major for fighting Edmonton’s Josh Green. While Lander appeared no worse for wear — “my head is good, no problem,” he said following the game — Green was insistent the hit was dirty cheese.
“I’m not so sure it was an elbow by him, but definitely a head shot. He comes running down from the point a lot to hit guys who are kind of engaged in another battle,” said Green. “I thought it was the right thing to do to stand up for Anton.”
Green then had some words for Ott as the two sat in their respective penalty boxes.
“I told him it was a dirty play because he was pretty defenseless,” he said.
As far as possible suspension goes, Ott could be seen as a repeat offender having been suspended three times before — once for a hit to the head of Jordan Leopold, once for eye-gouging Travis Moen during a fight and once for low-bridging Carlo Colaiacovo.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)