Jan 7, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Things just aren’t ever easy in Buffalo this season.
Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News reports that the Sabres are set to see Ville Leino return to action tonight but he’ll be coming back in time to replace Derek Roy. Roy was injured in Buffalo’s last game against Carolina and Sabres coach Lindy Ruff isn’t feeling too good about things.
“Right now initially, they don’t feel it’s too bad,” Ruff said. “But it’s going to be more than days.”
The downside of this development is that Leino has been miserable this season with just 10 points in 29 games. Roy has been a bit better with 24 points this season in 40 games. Those numbers still aren’t great but the Sabres would prefer not to lose anyone at all.
Considering that Jason Pominville and Thomas Vanek have done all the heavy lifting offensively for the Sabres this season, now would be a good time for Leino to finally emerge as the scorer Buffalo thought he would be.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 6
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)