Jan 7, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
Jaime Benn and Mike Ribeiro each had a pair of goals against the Edmonton Oilers as the Stars earned the 4-1 victory. The win was their second straight game and third in four contests. But despite the goal scoring, the most impressive part of the victory yet another stellar effort by rookie goaltender Richard Bachman.
Bachman’s victory was the sixth win in only eight decisions for the first-year netminder.; his remarkable play has earned him the back-up role over veteran Andrew Raycroft. Even though this is unquestionably Kari Lehtonen’s team, the organization must feel good about having a strong, young netminder grow into his potential.
The perfect example was Saturday afternoon. The team expected Lehtonen to get the start until he feel ill before the game. Bachmann proved once again that he was up to the challenge.
“I felt good. I had some pretty good practices, I felt the last few days,” the rookie Bachman said. “I am just trying to stay ready so when stuff like this happens I can go out there, feel comfortable and confident and give the team a chance to win. I felt good.”
Even without their workhorse goaltender, it really shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that the Stars were able to beat the Oilers at home. The Stars’ victory pushes their record to 10-0-1 at home since 2006 against Edmonton. Now if they could just play the Oilers at home 82 times per season, they’d be guaranteed playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)