Jan 7, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
Jaime Benn and Mike Ribeiro each had a pair of goals against the Edmonton Oilers as the Stars earned the 4-1 victory. The win was their second straight game and third in four contests. But despite the goal scoring, the most impressive part of the victory yet another stellar effort by rookie goaltender Richard Bachman.
Bachman’s victory was the sixth win in only eight decisions for the first-year netminder.; his remarkable play has earned him the back-up role over veteran Andrew Raycroft. Even though this is unquestionably Kari Lehtonen’s team, the organization must feel good about having a strong, young netminder grow into his potential.
The perfect example was Saturday afternoon. The team expected Lehtonen to get the start until he feel ill before the game. Bachmann proved once again that he was up to the challenge.
“I felt good. I had some pretty good practices, I felt the last few days,” the rookie Bachman said. “I am just trying to stay ready so when stuff like this happens I can go out there, feel comfortable and confident and give the team a chance to win. I felt good.”
Even without their workhorse goaltender, it really shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that the Stars were able to beat the Oilers at home. The Stars’ victory pushes their record to 10-0-1 at home since 2006 against Edmonton. Now if they could just play the Oilers at home 82 times per season, they’d be guaranteed playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)