Jan 7, 2012, 6:25 PM EDT
Jaime Benn and Mike Ribeiro each had a pair of goals against the Edmonton Oilers as the Stars earned the 4-1 victory. The win was their second straight game and third in four contests. But despite the goal scoring, the most impressive part of the victory yet another stellar effort by rookie goaltender Richard Bachman.
Bachman’s victory was the sixth win in only eight decisions for the first-year netminder.; his remarkable play has earned him the back-up role over veteran Andrew Raycroft. Even though this is unquestionably Kari Lehtonen’s team, the organization must feel good about having a strong, young netminder grow into his potential.
The perfect example was Saturday afternoon. The team expected Lehtonen to get the start until he feel ill before the game. Bachmann proved once again that he was up to the challenge.
“I felt good. I had some pretty good practices, I felt the last few days,” the rookie Bachman said. “I am just trying to stay ready so when stuff like this happens I can go out there, feel comfortable and confident and give the team a chance to win. I felt good.”
Even without their workhorse goaltender, it really shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that the Stars were able to beat the Oilers at home. The Stars’ victory pushes their record to 10-0-1 at home since 2006 against Edmonton. Now if they could just play the Oilers at home 82 times per season, they’d be guaranteed playoff spot in the Western Conference.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 9
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 18
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- PBT: LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games