Jan 7, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
It turns out that the Capitals are going to be a bit more careful with Nicklas Backstrom.
After getting an elbow in the head from Rene Bourque, Backstrom has been practicing and working out like normal with the Caps. Coach Dale Hunter tells Mike Vogel of Dump And Chase that they’re going to err on the side of caution with Backstrom, however, and sit him out of tonight’s game against the Sharks.
“He’s not going to play,” says Caps coach Dale Hunter of Backstrom. “We’re just being careful. He feels good, but you’ve still got to be careful with it.”
Backstrom has said all along that he feels fine and that all is well, but you can’t blame the Capitals for being careful with their No. 1 centerman. After all, Backstrom is their top setup man and the guy that helps the Caps offense go. Having him sit out one game sure beats having him miss more after putting his health at risk. It’s just another example of a team taking concussion worries much more seriously.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)