Jan 7, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
The NHL has rescinded the game-misconduct penalty that was assessed to Milan Lucic in the wild first period of the Bruins/Canucks game Saturday afternoon. Initially, the on-ice officials ruled that Lucic left the bench to join an altercation. With the benefit of replay, league officials saw that Lucic had initially jumped on the ice during a normal line change, then was starting step back onto the bench before getting involved in the scrum.
Here’s the explanation from the National Hockey League Senior Vice President and
Director of Officiating Terry Gregson:
“The referees reacted to what they saw,” Gregson said. “The only player they saw coming from the bench area from either team was Lucic. But with the benefit of replay, we can see that Lucic had previously entered the ice over the boards legally to join the play and actually was contemplating stepping back onto the bench through the door when the altercation ensued.
“It should be further noted that a review of the video confirmed that all players on both teams involved in the altercation had entered the ice legally for the purpose of joining the play. None entered the ice for the purpose of joining or starting an altercation, which is prohibited by Rule
NHL Rule 70.1 – Leaving the Bench reads: “No player may leave the players’ or penalty bench at any time during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation.”
Yeah, we could watch these two teams go at it for seven games in June again.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)