Jan 7, 2012, 6:54 PM EDT
The NHL has rescinded the game-misconduct penalty that was assessed to Milan Lucic in the wild first period of the Bruins/Canucks game Saturday afternoon. Initially, the on-ice officials ruled that Lucic left the bench to join an altercation. With the benefit of replay, league officials saw that Lucic had initially jumped on the ice during a normal line change, then was starting step back onto the bench before getting involved in the scrum.
Here’s the explanation from the National Hockey League Senior Vice President and
Director of Officiating Terry Gregson:
“The referees reacted to what they saw,” Gregson said. “The only player they saw coming from the bench area from either team was Lucic. But with the benefit of replay, we can see that Lucic had previously entered the ice over the boards legally to join the play and actually was contemplating stepping back onto the bench through the door when the altercation ensued.
“It should be further noted that a review of the video confirmed that all players on both teams involved in the altercation had entered the ice legally for the purpose of joining the play. None entered the ice for the purpose of joining or starting an altercation, which is prohibited by Rule
NHL Rule 70.1 – Leaving the Bench reads: “No player may leave the players’ or penalty bench at any time during an altercation or for the purpose of starting an altercation.”
Yeah, we could watch these two teams go at it for seven games in June again.
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 3
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 10
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 73
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 65
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)