Jan 7, 2012, 10:13 PM EST
File this under the “adding insult to injury” file: the Edmonton Oilers saw Jordan Eberle hobble to the dressing room in the first period of their 4-1 loss to the Dallas Stars. Here’s was the official word from the Oilers: “Jordan Eberle will not return to today’s game with a right knee injury.” The play that cost Eberle the rest of the game didn’t look like anything serious, but he ended up leaving the game after only taking a handful of shifts in the first period.
As if things couldn’t get any worse for the struggling, wounded Oilers these days. The emerging star was unable to return to the ice and thus far, the Oilers aren’t offering any details about the severity of the injury. Eberle will probably be examined on Monday and didn’t talk to the media after the game, but he was able to leave the arena under his own power without the aid of crutches. For Edmonton fans looking for any positive signs, that’s about all we have for you.
In addition to Eberle, the Oilers have lost Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Tom Gilbert, and Ryan Whitney on their brutal seven game road trip. You know it’s bad when a team goes 1-6-0 on the road and the record wasn’t the worst part of the trip.
Here’s the video of Eberle getting his skates tied up with Dallas forward Jamie Benn that most likely caused the injury.
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 0
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24