Jan 7, 2012, 10:13 PM EST
File this under the “adding insult to injury” file: the Edmonton Oilers saw Jordan Eberle hobble to the dressing room in the first period of their 4-1 loss to the Dallas Stars. Here’s was the official word from the Oilers: “Jordan Eberle will not return to today’s game with a right knee injury.” The play that cost Eberle the rest of the game didn’t look like anything serious, but he ended up leaving the game after only taking a handful of shifts in the first period.
As if things couldn’t get any worse for the struggling, wounded Oilers these days. The emerging star was unable to return to the ice and thus far, the Oilers aren’t offering any details about the severity of the injury. Eberle will probably be examined on Monday and didn’t talk to the media after the game, but he was able to leave the arena under his own power without the aid of crutches. For Edmonton fans looking for any positive signs, that’s about all we have for you.
In addition to Eberle, the Oilers have lost Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Tom Gilbert, and Ryan Whitney on their brutal seven game road trip. You know it’s bad when a team goes 1-6-0 on the road and the record wasn’t the worst part of the trip.
Here’s the video of Eberle getting his skates tied up with Dallas forward Jamie Benn that most likely caused the injury.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 18
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 5
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 15
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 10
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4