Jan 7, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
File this under the “adding insult to injury” file: the Edmonton Oilers saw Jordan Eberle hobble to the dressing room in the first period of their 4-1 loss to the Dallas Stars. Here’s was the official word from the Oilers: “Jordan Eberle will not return to today’s game with a right knee injury.” The play that cost Eberle the rest of the game didn’t look like anything serious, but he ended up leaving the game after only taking a handful of shifts in the first period.
As if things couldn’t get any worse for the struggling, wounded Oilers these days. The emerging star was unable to return to the ice and thus far, the Oilers aren’t offering any details about the severity of the injury. Eberle will probably be examined on Monday and didn’t talk to the media after the game, but he was able to leave the arena under his own power without the aid of crutches. For Edmonton fans looking for any positive signs, that’s about all we have for you.
In addition to Eberle, the Oilers have lost Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Tom Gilbert, and Ryan Whitney on their brutal seven game road trip. You know it’s bad when a team goes 1-6-0 on the road and the record wasn’t the worst part of the trip.
Here’s the video of Eberle getting his skates tied up with Dallas forward Jamie Benn that most likely caused the injury.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 24
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)