Jan 7, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
Today’s Bruins-Canucks game has had a smorgasbord of things to analyze from fights to penalties to goals, but Brad Marchand made sure that Brendan Shanahan gets something to look at as well.
Late in the second period, Marchand went low to deliver a check to Canucks defenseman Sami Salo. Instead of just delivering a hip check, Marchand went low to Salo’s knees to take him out. Salo went down and out of the game with an injury while Marchand was kicked out of the game and given a five-minute major for clipping.
One interesting note here is that Marchand was not assessed a match penalty for intent to injure. With Marchand going that low on Salo, it’s hard to think of what he was actually trying to do other than be a destructive instrument of chaos.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)