Jan 7, 2012, 4:01 PM EST
Today’s Bruins-Canucks game has had a smorgasbord of things to analyze from fights to penalties to goals, but Brad Marchand made sure that Brendan Shanahan gets something to look at as well.
Late in the second period, Marchand went low to deliver a check to Canucks defenseman Sami Salo. Instead of just delivering a hip check, Marchand went low to Salo’s knees to take him out. Salo went down and out of the game with an injury while Marchand was kicked out of the game and given a five-minute major for clipping.
One interesting note here is that Marchand was not assessed a match penalty for intent to injure. With Marchand going that low on Salo, it’s hard to think of what he was actually trying to do other than be a destructive instrument of chaos.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 12
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 12
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)