Jan 7, 2012, 4:01 PM EDT
Today’s Bruins-Canucks game has had a smorgasbord of things to analyze from fights to penalties to goals, but Brad Marchand made sure that Brendan Shanahan gets something to look at as well.
Late in the second period, Marchand went low to deliver a check to Canucks defenseman Sami Salo. Instead of just delivering a hip check, Marchand went low to Salo’s knees to take him out. Salo went down and out of the game with an injury while Marchand was kicked out of the game and given a five-minute major for clipping.
One interesting note here is that Marchand was not assessed a match penalty for intent to injure. With Marchand going that low on Salo, it’s hard to think of what he was actually trying to do other than be a destructive instrument of chaos.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 9
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 21
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 12
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)