Jan 6, 2012, 6:15 PM EST
This is the Weekend Watch. It’s a guide of what to watch this weekend.
Saturday: Vancouver at Boston, 1pm ET
I feel as though PHT’s sufficiently hyped this Stanley Cup rematch…but just in case we haven’t, here’s a series of links to get you amped!
Saturday: Tampa Bay at Montreal, 7pm ET
Thanks in part to a Quebecker-laden roster, the Lighting tend to put on a good show in Montreal.
There’s captain Vincent Lecavalier (Ile Blizard), associate captain Martin St. Louis (Laval), defenseman Bruno Gervais (Longueuil) and the guys with direct ties to the organization: former Habs Marc-Andre Bergeron (Saint-Louis-de-Frace) and goalie Mathieu Garon (Chandler) — and, of course, head coach Guy Boucher (Notrea-Dame-du-Lac), former bench boss of Montreal’s AHL affiliate in Hamilton.
Saturday: Washington at San Jose, 10:30pm ET
Fun fact: The Caps haven’t won in San Jose since Oct. 30, 1993.
To give you an idea of how long ago that was…
— The goalies were Rick Tabaracci (Washington) and Arturs Irbe (San Jose). Up until last year, Irbe served as Washington’s goalie coach.
— Washington’s goalscorers: Peter Bondra, Mike Ridley, Craig Berube and NBC Sports Network NHL analyst Keith Jones.
— San Jose goalscorers: Sergei Makarov and Tom Pederson.
— Amazingly, one current NHLer actually participated in that game: Ray Whitney.
Sunday: Philadelphia at Ottawa, 5pm ET
This will be the second game of a home-and-home/back-to-back series (lots of hyphens there), which usually leads to some nastiness. Another fun fact: Did you know the Flyers and Senators are the two most-penalized teams in hockey? It’s true. Philly leads all teams with 231 total penalties, Ottawa’s right behind with 223.
Sunday: Detroit at Chicago, 7:30pm ET
Amazingly, this will only be the second meeting of the season between the two heated division rivals. (Even more amazingly, their first meeting was on Dec. 30.) Be sure to keep an eye on the officiating in this one — last time out, Chicago had five powerplay opportunities to Detroit’s one and was awarded a penalty shot that Jonathan Toews converted to open the ‘Hawks scoring.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 14
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 48
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)