To fight back or turn the other cheek – Sedin says “it’s a no-win situation”

Jan 6, 2012, 2:47 PM EDT

Sedin Marchand

The Sedins are damned if they do, and damned if they don’t.

That’s what Daniel Sedin told Vancouver’s TEAM 1040 radio station Thursday morning when asked if he should’ve done more when Boston’s Brad Marchand repeatedly jabbed him in the face at the end of Game 6 in the Stanley Cup finals.

“I’ve [hit back] before and all of a sudden we’re frustrated,” said Sedin. “For me and Henrik, it’s a no-win situation. Whatever we do is going to be the wrong thing, so we’re not too worried about that.”

Sedin was presumably referring to the 2010 playoffs when Chicago’s Dave Bolland and Kris Versteeg were able to goad him into penalties. The Blackhawks beat the Canucks in that series and went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Vancouver is in Boston tomorrow (1 p.m. ET) for the first time since Game 6 of the Cup finals. Thus, the question about Marchand.

The defending Art Ross Trophy winner also commented on a recent incident between his brother and San Jose’s Joe Thornton, in which Thornton intentionally unintentionally stuck his glove in Henrik’s face during a discussion with the referee.

“I think it’s childish,” said Sedin. “That says more about Thornton than it says about Henrik.”

1. haterzgonahate - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Daniel’s bang on

its a shame that the negative aspects of that series are all anyone talke about still! not the great goaltending or solid defense from Boston that won them the cup or the fact that it was just plain entertaining hockey to watch.

i really hope we see some great hockey tomorrow and no childish antics from either team.

• thatsdoinit - Jan 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

It’s a shame people are still talking about the series in general. It was almost 7 months ago. It’s over and done with. It’s a new season, people. Yes, it was an exciting, entertaining series.

I understand the pain of the real Canucks fans. It’s heart-wrenching seeing your team lose a game seven in the cup finals, but it’s time to move on.

Unfortunately, in 5 years the only thing most people will remember is the riots. (And no, that is not a crack at the Canucks)

It’s a damn shame that had to happen.

2. davebabychreturns - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Spot on IMO. In the court of public opinion the Sedins will be criticized no matter how they react to that stuff.

In the case of Thornton it says far more about Big Joe than it does about Henrik, and in the case of Marshmont.. well the Canucks simply aren’t best served getting into shoving matches after the whistle, so I guess there’s no response on the ice that works if the refs aren’t going to call the game according to the rules.

3. loinstache - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

He’s totally right. Anyone who watches the Canucks regularly (especially before the Boston series) knows that whenever the Sedins do anything more aggressive than a holding penalty they’re maligned, they get scolded for not leaving it to the ‘energy guys’ and people start over-analysing the teams composure blah blah blah. Whenever they turn the other cheek they’re ‘pussies and sisters.’

I bet you if Daniel goes out tomorrow and kicks the snot out of Chara (obviously not going to happen, just saying) people will start jeering that he’s a petty and emotional player with a stick up his ass.

For me, I like to focus on the player as he plays the sport, not on how he decides to incite violence.

• pepper2011 - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:50 PM

The only thing is the Canucks are cheap, dirty and they dive. Lapierre is a Joke, the way the Sedins flop around is absurd and Burrows, well – he bit a dude. Everyone calls the Bruins goons or whatnot but you don’t see krejci, Bergeron or Seguin flopping around like they were shot if someone touches them then there is Burrows and Lapierre with the whole biting thing. OH YEAH lets not forget the commercial intro where the INNOCENT Sedins introduce the “vegetarian” Burrows after the incident. I am sick everyone (canucks fans) acting like they are just playing old school skilled hockey, they’re not – They are just soft and REALLY bad at playing the victim to every other city but Vancouver. Every team has their share of questionable instances – The Bruins own up to theirs as to about 28 other teams (sorry Habs). The Canucks act like it’s ok to slap a stick out of the goalies hand -no repercussions to had? Or to Bite a guy? that’s ok, but challenging a guy to a fight is bad or wash washing a guy is goon-ism? c’mon now

• haterzgonahate - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM

cheap eh? how many suspensions have the Canucks earned this year?

meanwhile..sheriff Shanny has the Bruins on speed dial

• vanchuk - Jan 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

let me come stick my finger in your mouth and see what happens…

• taytay099 - Jan 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I’m sure if you watched a Nucks or Habs game without a biased point of view you’d see that they’re not as bad as you describe them. What team hasn’t taken a little slash at the goalie hoping for a rebound? Most people don’t like their star players being attacked after the whistle so seeing Daniel getting punched without a call will obviously upset the Canucks. I don’t see how you don’t get that.

I couldn’t agree more about the diving though (main reason i refuse to watch soccer). Kesler is my favourite player, but goddamn it is hard to like him when he tries several times a game to get a call by embellishing then yapping at the ref.

• ballistictrajectory - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM

I think he’s petty and emotionless, with a stick up his ass anyway.

4. govtminion - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM

In most cases (as I did with the Ryan Miller situation), I recommend getting revenge by beating a team on the scoreboard. The Sabres’ next outing against Boston was a pretty good game, and they did try to be more rough with the Bruins- it wasn’t enough to win it, but it showed spirit.

The way Boston is playing right now though, beating them on the scoreboard is a pretty tall order.

Honestly though, I’d like to see the Canucks- and the Sedins- play it the way the Sabres did. Come out with an edge, play a spirited game, and let the physical game out to play. Hit Bruins, get in the corners, play their game a little. It can’t hurt to show that side of your game sometimes, right? And if people say that shows that you’re frustrated… screw that. The Canucks are the top of the West right now- what is there to show frustration over?

(And I speak, for the record, as a hockey fan, not as a Bruins fan. That side of me is hoping for a second consecutive 9-0 butt-kicking, but I’ll be realistic and just hope for a good game.)

5. comeonnowguys - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

They don’t get it. There are lot of tough guys that don’t have to hit back when someone looks at them funny.

They just have to stop diving whenever they catch the breeze of a passing stick or player. That’s the ship that’s already left port.

6. buffalomafia - Jan 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Maybe the Canucks might start a car on fire @ center ice? Go Bruins!

• govtminion - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Oh! A riot joke! Because it’s the Cancucks playing! I see what you did there, very clever!

• ballistictrajectory - Jan 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM

How about the Canucks set their own bus on fire. That would be a better analogy.

• elvispocomo - Jan 6, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You do know they didn’t take a bus to Boston, right? Teams in the East are WAY too spoiled with the travel (or rather lack of) they have.

7. dirtydog57 - Jan 6, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Can’t believe what I’m reading. Kids acts this way cause they don’t know better. Lets just play hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. rarelyshaves - Jan 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

ill be the first one to be on the sedin hater-wagon while theyre on the ice

but honestly they appear very aware and sentient off the ice… anyone who tells you they wouldnt want either of them on their team is lying or ignorant

• haterzgonahate - Jan 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Dave Bolland says “they wouldn’t be allowed” on the Blackhawks lol

9. kitshky - Jan 6, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again. Not only are the Sedin twins two of the most skilled, talented, and at times honestly magical players to ever lace up in the NHL … they’re two of the toughest players in the game today.

Opinion – Soft, Crybabies, Divers, Wimps, “Sisters” (yawn by the way)

Fact;

Daniel 827 GP, 267 G, 697 P. Daniel has missed only 33 games since he was drafted, and that is including the 19 games he missed in 2009/2010. (Art Ross Trophy & Ted Lindsay Award.)

Henrick 851 GP, 167 G, 714 P. Henrick has missed only 10 games since he was drafted …10 games! (Art Ross trophy & Hart Trophy.)

The point I’m tryin to make here is that the Twins face the No1 checking lines and the No 1 D pairing ..every single night. Every team thinks they can get them off theyre game by playing them physical, by hitting them, roughing them up, and taking shots at them after the whistle.
    They’re game is 70 – 90% played in the toughest areas to play in (on the boards, in the corners, and in front of the net) and yet despite all that they just simply do not get hurt, do not get rattled, and now consistently put a 1.3 points per game average (both of them, seperately). And dont even try the tired old line that “they get most of theyre goals on the PowerPlay. Throughout their entire NHL career Henrik has only 43 PP goals and Daniel has only 99 PP goals)

There will always be emotional hockey fans who say things like Crosby sucks, Ovy’s a bum, and the Twins are wimps. Thats fine, that’s what being a fan is all about I suppose (to some people) but at the end of the when you look at the facts it just comes across as silly..

*cue the “Fkn wimp Sisters” replies in 1 – 2 – 3 ….

• kitshky - Jan 6, 2012 at 7:09 PM

*THEIR goals on the PowerPlay (damn I hate doing that)

• thatsdoinit - Jan 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Granted, they are very skilled. But you may want to take it easy on the “most skilled, talented, and magical players EVER” comments. That’s an extremely bold statement, sir. Most skilled, talented, and magical in recent years I would have no problem agreeing with.

• kitshky - Jan 6, 2012 at 11:37 PM

I said they are AMONGTS the best of all time…

The NHL has never seen anything like the Twins, and lets be honest, we’re never gonna see anything like them again. Two identical twins who are amongst the absolute best in the world at their time, playing a style like no one else, accomplishing thing on a nightly basis that no one else does, winning back to back Art Ross and MVP awards and sitting in the top 3 in NHL scoring again.
        I’m just saying, you dont need to like the Canucks or Canucks fans but people really need to stop their partisan nonsense and realize what we’re witnessing in our lifetime. They’re special …one of the most special things hockey has ever seen. (insert moronic special needs comment here) Yesthey’re more sublime than obvious, but if you don’t take the opportunity to watch the magic they put together on literally almost every shift they play you’re cheating yourself.

• thatsdoinit - Jan 7, 2012 at 12:04 AM

I know what you meant. The statement is still a reach. They are not on the same level as Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe,Orr, Phil Esposito, Marcel Dionne, Bobby Hull, Yzerman, Sakic, Bossy, Lafleur, Makita, Messier, Beliveau, Jagr, plus more.

It’s far too early in their careers to make an outrageous claim such as that one. Maybe, when it’s all said and done and they’ve retired, their names will be mentioned with the greats. Maybe.

I will concede the twin brother factor, though.

• kitshky - Jan 7, 2012 at 3:45 AM

True … in a lot of ways I was speaking of them post career, which is my opinion and I shouldn’t have sold it as fact. (But I do think they will)

10. rwmilli - Jan 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Agreed with above ^^^ if the Sedins are weak, what does that make all the ” tough ” guys they play against and dominate on a nightly basis? As far as the burrows bite, if someone stuck their stinky sweaty glove in your mouth I’m sure everyone commenting would bite, diving is a part of the game van doesn’t embellish anymore than any other team, watch the game…..you guys are so fun to read :) makes me feel proud to be a nucks fan, more haters = closet fans !

11. blomfeld - Jan 6, 2012 at 9:54 PM

A possible scenario tomorrow in Boston …

Sister A – that bad man just hit me !

Sister B – yes I know my brother, however we must rise above that sort of behavior

Sister A – okay, but now that bad man is hitting me again … many times !

Sister B – yes, I can see that … perhaps offer him the other side of your head for his blows ?

Sister A – what a great idea ! …. thank you for your wisdom brother !

Sister B – you’re very welcome … by the way, have you seen the new Volvo ?

• taytay099 - Jan 7, 2012 at 12:51 AM

High five to you.

• kitshky - Jan 7, 2012 at 3:43 AM

“Sister” A – no but have you seen my Art Ross and Hart Trophy?
      “Sister” B – ya its looks almost as good as mine!”
      “Sister” A – hey lets give a million dollars to Childrens Hospital while we laugh at every other fkn moron in the world who wishes that God would just let us play on there team
      “Sister” B …. sure why not.

12. redrew - Jan 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM

How many points did the “awesome” sisters score last June vs Boston? They folded like all the other finesse Europeans. Have you heard their game plan for today….draw penaltes and score on the powerplay……TRANSLATION……dive….and hope the refs hand us the game. I suspect the sisters have asked out of this game just like their jelly goalie…..embarrassing for the sport

• kitshky - Jan 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Wow ..brilliant analysis. Yes you’re absolutely right, the Twins are the only 1st line in the history of the game to be shut down in the Stanley Cup Finals, that totally erases all their accomplishments.

This is exactly the kind of BS crap that ignorant fans spout off, I give you facts and statistics …you reply with “they got shut down in the Final” (ignoring that they made it to the Final), call them “Sisters”, and give us the old classic “fold like all other finesse Europeans”. I hope you got a TV in that cave of yours cause this is a great game.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. J. Quick (1376)
  2. S. Bennett (1324)
  3. P. Rinne (1171)
  4. K. Timonen (1164)
  5. N. Niederreiter (1162)