Jan 6, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
This morning, the good people at CapGeek.com tweeted a link to their “Trade Deadline Tracker,” a page that shows how much cap space each team can add at the NHL trade deadline.
If you want to get excited about what could happen by Feb. 27 at 3 p.m. ET, click on this link.
A few things to consider:
—- Some really good teams could add some really good players for their playoff runs. The Boston Bruins, for example, could acquire a $13,681,735 cap hit at the deadline (assuming they don’t make any moves before then.) And that’s not even counting the $4 million in LTI relief they could get for Marc Savard.
—- Other Stanley Cup contenders with deep pockets that could make significant moves include Detroit ($23,551,749) and Chicago ($22,197,711).
—- Potential playoff teams with not-so-deep pockets that could make big moves include Nashville ($66,150,085), Dallas ($64,798,123), Ottawa ($61,466,958), Winnipeg ($50,676,384), Phoenix ($43,787,030), Florida ($42,664,187), St. Louis ($42,328,028), and Minnesota ($39,195,631). Will any of those ownership groups step up to the plate?
—- Washington ($1,065,650) and Vancouver ($2,213,127) will be limited in their deadline dealings, barring injuries.
—- Calgary ($1,597,873) just lost 9-0 to the Bruins and doesn’t have much room to get better. Good thing every half-decent player on the Flames has a no-trade clause.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 3
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 13
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 4
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)