Jan 6, 2012, 1:10 PM EST
This morning, the good people at CapGeek.com tweeted a link to their “Trade Deadline Tracker,” a page that shows how much cap space each team can add at the NHL trade deadline.
If you want to get excited about what could happen by Feb. 27 at 3 p.m. ET, click on this link.
A few things to consider:
—- Some really good teams could add some really good players for their playoff runs. The Boston Bruins, for example, could acquire a $13,681,735 cap hit at the deadline (assuming they don’t make any moves before then.) And that’s not even counting the $4 million in LTI relief they could get for Marc Savard.
—- Other Stanley Cup contenders with deep pockets that could make significant moves include Detroit ($23,551,749) and Chicago ($22,197,711).
—- Potential playoff teams with not-so-deep pockets that could make big moves include Nashville ($66,150,085), Dallas ($64,798,123), Ottawa ($61,466,958), Winnipeg ($50,676,384), Phoenix ($43,787,030), Florida ($42,664,187), St. Louis ($42,328,028), and Minnesota ($39,195,631). Will any of those ownership groups step up to the plate?
—- Washington ($1,065,650) and Vancouver ($2,213,127) will be limited in their deadline dealings, barring injuries.
—- Calgary ($1,597,873) just lost 9-0 to the Bruins and doesn’t have much room to get better. Good thing every half-decent player on the Flames has a no-trade clause.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46