Jan 6, 2012, 1:10 PM EST
This morning, the good people at CapGeek.com tweeted a link to their “Trade Deadline Tracker,” a page that shows how much cap space each team can add at the NHL trade deadline.
If you want to get excited about what could happen by Feb. 27 at 3 p.m. ET, click on this link.
A few things to consider:
—- Some really good teams could add some really good players for their playoff runs. The Boston Bruins, for example, could acquire a $13,681,735 cap hit at the deadline (assuming they don’t make any moves before then.) And that’s not even counting the $4 million in LTI relief they could get for Marc Savard.
—- Other Stanley Cup contenders with deep pockets that could make significant moves include Detroit ($23,551,749) and Chicago ($22,197,711).
—- Potential playoff teams with not-so-deep pockets that could make big moves include Nashville ($66,150,085), Dallas ($64,798,123), Ottawa ($61,466,958), Winnipeg ($50,676,384), Phoenix ($43,787,030), Florida ($42,664,187), St. Louis ($42,328,028), and Minnesota ($39,195,631). Will any of those ownership groups step up to the plate?
—- Washington ($1,065,650) and Vancouver ($2,213,127) will be limited in their deadline dealings, barring injuries.
—- Calgary ($1,597,873) just lost 9-0 to the Bruins and doesn’t have much room to get better. Good thing every half-decent player on the Flames has a no-trade clause.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)