Jan 6, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Chicago GM Stan Bowman has a wishlist for what he’d like to get to help his team challenge for the Stanley Cup. The problem is, his list is all too similar to what other GMs are on the hunt for.
Bowman tells CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers that he’d like to get a center and a defenseman to bolster his team’s roster, but confesses that getting the players that work best might be difficult to do.
“I think you can never have enough defensemen. I think last year Vancouver used 10 or 11? Up front, I think you can make the same argument for a centerman,” Bowman said. “But if you talk to the other GMs, and I’ve talked to a lot recently, they’re looking for center and defense as well. Those are the positions most in demand. We’re probably not unique that way.”
Certainly not and while there’s a host of big names being tossed around out there, especially in Anaheim, the Blackhawks aren’t looking to make a splash. If he’s following the Vancouver model at all, finding ideal role players and improving depth is more what he’s after. With some nagging injuries that have forced Chicago to dip into the minor leagues in a big way, having more depth for the playoffs makes too much sense.
Of course if a GM wanted to throw a second line center at him at a reasonable cost, it would be hard to say “no” to that.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 4
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31