Jan 6, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Chicago GM Stan Bowman has a wishlist for what he’d like to get to help his team challenge for the Stanley Cup. The problem is, his list is all too similar to what other GMs are on the hunt for.
Bowman tells CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers that he’d like to get a center and a defenseman to bolster his team’s roster, but confesses that getting the players that work best might be difficult to do.
“I think you can never have enough defensemen. I think last year Vancouver used 10 or 11? Up front, I think you can make the same argument for a centerman,” Bowman said. “But if you talk to the other GMs, and I’ve talked to a lot recently, they’re looking for center and defense as well. Those are the positions most in demand. We’re probably not unique that way.”
Certainly not and while there’s a host of big names being tossed around out there, especially in Anaheim, the Blackhawks aren’t looking to make a splash. If he’s following the Vancouver model at all, finding ideal role players and improving depth is more what he’s after. With some nagging injuries that have forced Chicago to dip into the minor leagues in a big way, having more depth for the playoffs makes too much sense.
Of course if a GM wanted to throw a second line center at him at a reasonable cost, it would be hard to say “no” to that.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 14
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5