Jan 6, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Chicago GM Stan Bowman has a wishlist for what he’d like to get to help his team challenge for the Stanley Cup. The problem is, his list is all too similar to what other GMs are on the hunt for.
Bowman tells CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers that he’d like to get a center and a defenseman to bolster his team’s roster, but confesses that getting the players that work best might be difficult to do.
“I think you can never have enough defensemen. I think last year Vancouver used 10 or 11? Up front, I think you can make the same argument for a centerman,” Bowman said. “But if you talk to the other GMs, and I’ve talked to a lot recently, they’re looking for center and defense as well. Those are the positions most in demand. We’re probably not unique that way.”
Certainly not and while there’s a host of big names being tossed around out there, especially in Anaheim, the Blackhawks aren’t looking to make a splash. If he’s following the Vancouver model at all, finding ideal role players and improving depth is more what he’s after. With some nagging injuries that have forced Chicago to dip into the minor leagues in a big way, having more depth for the playoffs makes too much sense.
Of course if a GM wanted to throw a second line center at him at a reasonable cost, it would be hard to say “no” to that.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)