Jan 6, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT
Chicago GM Stan Bowman has a wishlist for what he’d like to get to help his team challenge for the Stanley Cup. The problem is, his list is all too similar to what other GMs are on the hunt for.
Bowman tells CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers that he’d like to get a center and a defenseman to bolster his team’s roster, but confesses that getting the players that work best might be difficult to do.
“I think you can never have enough defensemen. I think last year Vancouver used 10 or 11? Up front, I think you can make the same argument for a centerman,” Bowman said. “But if you talk to the other GMs, and I’ve talked to a lot recently, they’re looking for center and defense as well. Those are the positions most in demand. We’re probably not unique that way.”
Certainly not and while there’s a host of big names being tossed around out there, especially in Anaheim, the Blackhawks aren’t looking to make a splash. If he’s following the Vancouver model at all, finding ideal role players and improving depth is more what he’s after. With some nagging injuries that have forced Chicago to dip into the minor leagues in a big way, having more depth for the playoffs makes too much sense.
Of course if a GM wanted to throw a second line center at him at a reasonable cost, it would be hard to say “no” to that.
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)