Jan 6, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Ryan Miller‘s season has been a rough one, but there’s still big things he can accomplish.
Miller is close to breaking Dominik Hasek’s team record for career wins. Hasek leads with 234 while Miller trails close behind with 231. The awkward part here is that if Miller were having a better season, he’d have already blown past Hasek’s mark and continued establishing his own record.
As Miller tells Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, even he’s at a loss to explain what’s gone on this season and he’s taking his words from commercials to say what’s up.
“Every season is unique,” Miller said with a pained smile after practice Thursday in First Niagara Center. “Every lawyer puts it on their disclaimer for their commercials, ‘Past results do not guarantee future results.'”
That might be the case for Miller this year, but establishing a precedent of success the way Miller has means that the future comes with certain expectations. In his case, the hopes are at their highest to see him play like a No. 1 goalie.
Instead, he’s been run over, complained even more, and has struggled to keep pucks out of the net compounding the issues the Sabres have had this season. If Miller wants to draw inspiration from commercials the rest of the way, he might want to borrow a slogan from a can of Raid and start killing pucks dead.
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year 0
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 48
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)