Jan 6, 2012, 8:53 AM EST
Ryan Miller‘s season has been a rough one, but there’s still big things he can accomplish.
Miller is close to breaking Dominik Hasek’s team record for career wins. Hasek leads with 234 while Miller trails close behind with 231. The awkward part here is that if Miller were having a better season, he’d have already blown past Hasek’s mark and continued establishing his own record.
As Miller tells Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, even he’s at a loss to explain what’s gone on this season and he’s taking his words from commercials to say what’s up.
“Every season is unique,” Miller said with a pained smile after practice Thursday in First Niagara Center. “Every lawyer puts it on their disclaimer for their commercials, ‘Past results do not guarantee future results.'”
That might be the case for Miller this year, but establishing a precedent of success the way Miller has means that the future comes with certain expectations. In his case, the hopes are at their highest to see him play like a No. 1 goalie.
Instead, he’s been run over, complained even more, and has struggled to keep pucks out of the net compounding the issues the Sabres have had this season. If Miller wants to draw inspiration from commercials the rest of the way, he might want to borrow a slogan from a can of Raid and start killing pucks dead.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)