Jan 6, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Ryan Miller‘s season has been a rough one, but there’s still big things he can accomplish.
Miller is close to breaking Dominik Hasek’s team record for career wins. Hasek leads with 234 while Miller trails close behind with 231. The awkward part here is that if Miller were having a better season, he’d have already blown past Hasek’s mark and continued establishing his own record.
As Miller tells Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News, even he’s at a loss to explain what’s gone on this season and he’s taking his words from commercials to say what’s up.
“Every season is unique,” Miller said with a pained smile after practice Thursday in First Niagara Center. “Every lawyer puts it on their disclaimer for their commercials, ‘Past results do not guarantee future results.'”
That might be the case for Miller this year, but establishing a precedent of success the way Miller has means that the future comes with certain expectations. In his case, the hopes are at their highest to see him play like a No. 1 goalie.
Instead, he’s been run over, complained even more, and has struggled to keep pucks out of the net compounding the issues the Sabres have had this season. If Miller wants to draw inspiration from commercials the rest of the way, he might want to borrow a slogan from a can of Raid and start killing pucks dead.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)