Jan 6, 2012, 8:05 PM EDT
The NHLPA maintains it had no choice but to withhold its consent to the league’s radical realignment plan.
According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the union was concerned about the extra travel the plan would necessitate, as well as the fairness of the new playoff structure.
The union was willing to keep discussing the issues, but the NHL set a deadline of today for schedule-making purposes. When the deadline arrived and there were still unresolved issues, the union withheld its consent.
And here we are.
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 28
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 30
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 25