Jan 6, 2012, 10:05 AM EDT
Mike Knuble is never the sort of guy you want to upset on the ice. He’s big, he’s physical, he’s a veteran player that knows all the tricks.
When both Bruce Boudreau and Dale Hunter decided to park Knuble on the fourth line this season after playing on the same line with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom last season, instead of getting down in the dumps about getting older, Knuble got angry and fought his way back to playing top minutes.
Knuble tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that fighting back is in his nature and he told Hunter as much himself.
“My point,” Knuble said, “was that I care. I’m 39 years old and I’m here to earn another contract. I’m not here to just play it out and be content sitting there.
“I’m competitive and I want to be out there trying to win games. That’s part of being an athlete. You want to be proactive when you’re not playing, I wanted him to know that I care and I have more to give.”
Caring is one thing, performing is something else entirely and through Knuble’s career he’s done that. This year it’s been different. With Alexander Semin dealing with an injury, Knuble is getting his minutes back but he’s got to help them score goals to justify the temporary promotion from the fourth line.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 0
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights