Jan 6, 2012, 10:05 AM EST
Mike Knuble is never the sort of guy you want to upset on the ice. He’s big, he’s physical, he’s a veteran player that knows all the tricks.
When both Bruce Boudreau and Dale Hunter decided to park Knuble on the fourth line this season after playing on the same line with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom last season, instead of getting down in the dumps about getting older, Knuble got angry and fought his way back to playing top minutes.
Knuble tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that fighting back is in his nature and he told Hunter as much himself.
“My point,” Knuble said, “was that I care. I’m 39 years old and I’m here to earn another contract. I’m not here to just play it out and be content sitting there.
“I’m competitive and I want to be out there trying to win games. That’s part of being an athlete. You want to be proactive when you’re not playing, I wanted him to know that I care and I have more to give.”
Caring is one thing, performing is something else entirely and through Knuble’s career he’s done that. This year it’s been different. With Alexander Semin dealing with an injury, Knuble is getting his minutes back but he’s got to help them score goals to justify the temporary promotion from the fourth line.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)