Jan 6, 2012, 10:05 AM EST
Mike Knuble is never the sort of guy you want to upset on the ice. He’s big, he’s physical, he’s a veteran player that knows all the tricks.
When both Bruce Boudreau and Dale Hunter decided to park Knuble on the fourth line this season after playing on the same line with Alex Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom last season, instead of getting down in the dumps about getting older, Knuble got angry and fought his way back to playing top minutes.
Knuble tells CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley that fighting back is in his nature and he told Hunter as much himself.
“My point,” Knuble said, “was that I care. I’m 39 years old and I’m here to earn another contract. I’m not here to just play it out and be content sitting there.
“I’m competitive and I want to be out there trying to win games. That’s part of being an athlete. You want to be proactive when you’re not playing, I wanted him to know that I care and I have more to give.”
Caring is one thing, performing is something else entirely and through Knuble’s career he’s done that. This year it’s been different. With Alexander Semin dealing with an injury, Knuble is getting his minutes back but he’s got to help them score goals to justify the temporary promotion from the fourth line.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)